Review of No Stings Attached

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kira Bonita Reece
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy, Box Set
Bookshelf Size: 358
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kira-bonita-reece.html
Latest Review: Starboard Eight by Brian Casey

Review of No Stings Attached

Post by Kira Bonita Reece »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "No Stings Attached" by Chris Homan and Thomas Dudek.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever gone to the supermarket and spend a longer time than you intended to? What about compulsive shopping? Do you ever wonder why you buy things on sale that you don't really need? No Stings Attached by Chris Homan and Thomas Dudek explains how the human brain works and how marketing personnel, politicians and news outlets are using it to their advantage. This book aims to educate the reader on how to avoid being manipulated.

In No Strings Attached, the authors presented some really eye-opening information. I have never taken into consideration the way supermarkets display their goods. The most essential items are placed at the back of the supermarket, giving the shopper no option but to walk by and possibly purchase some nonessential item as well. In the same way, news outlets play with our minds by the type of music they play just before they report a story. Their choice of music gives us a sense of urgency to listen to the news. Even the professional way they dress is carefully calculated to make the news and their opinions seem more crucial. The authors advise us to do our own research when it comes on to the media and politics. The book was written in a simple manner so all readers can understand. Even if you are not into politics, this book is quite an interesting read. The authors encourage us to be open to learn new things when it comes to political issues. Being die-hearted is not the way to go. We must be able to accept new ideas and have a conversation without their being hard feelings.

The only thing I did not like about this book was the way the PDF file was presented. Two pages are separated by a column on one page. Other than that, this book was a perfect read. The authors made us aware of things we've never really thought about. They use the scenario of shopping in a supermarket to show how they influence our shopping without us even being aware of it. Chris Homan and Thomas Dudek encourage us to take a shopping list to the supermarket, so we don't overspend on things we never really needed.

No Strings Attached was exceptionally well edited, with no typing or grammatical errors. This book deserves a perfect score of 4 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed the conversational tone of the book.

I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to know how to control their shopping and how to not be influenced by others. This book contains a lot of eye-opening details.

No Stings Attached
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Winnie_Grace
Favorite Book: A Bloody Book
Currently Reading: Fast Starting a Career of Consequence: Workbook
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winnie-grace.html
Latest Review: UNUM: Infinity and Eternity by Rudy Ernst

Post by Winnie_Grace »

Good review. Eye openers are indeed the books that need to circulate more among readers. Thanks for the review.
Allandro
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Allandro »

This happens to me most of the time after reading the review nowvi understand why
Amenrodion
Currently Reading: Fates Sweet Passion
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amenrodion.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Amenrodion »

Adding it to my shelf
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

This should be an easy read. Thank you for the review.
QualityAndQuantity
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qualityandquantity.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by QualityAndQuantity »

As being a business student I think this book will provide me with information I can use in my real life. Thanks for the review.
Vidhi Adhikari
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: True Teryn
Bookshelf Size: 280
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vidhi-adhikari.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by Vidhi Adhikari »

As someone who is trying to live a 'No-Waste' lifestyle, I would love it if this book was read by as many people as possible. It is important to know the tactics of marketers to play with our mind and compel us to buy things that we don't really need. Thanks a lot for reviewing this book.
Shridhar Suryawanshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shridhar-suryawanshi.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark by J.B. Lion

Post by Shridhar Suryawanshi »

I agree with what you said about shopping and the supermarket. Amazing review.
Fareed Regal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fareed-regal.html
Latest Review: In Plain Sight by Susan Mallett

Post by Fareed Regal »

I think most people don't enjoy being manipulated. Understanding some of the tricks being used to empty our wallets whilst shopping can only be useful. Well done on a very good review that highlighted some interesting facts about the book.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”