Review of The Pocket Guide to Minimalism

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review of The Pocket Guide to Minimalism

Post by Melisa Jane »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Pocket Guide to Minimalism" by Katy Moeggenberg.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Keeping only the things that you need and getting rid of everything else that you no longer use can greatly save you unnecessary stress. For instance, keeping fewer items will ensure that the available space is efficiently utilized. This will, in the long run, help in saving money. The Pocket Guide to Minimalism: Because Living Simply Doesn’t Need to be Complicated by Katy Moeggenberg is a non-fictional self-help book that introduces readers to minimalism and teaches them how they can start being minimalists and how, once they've started, they can maintain this lifestyle.

This is a very short book; it has only sixty-four pages. It is divided into six chapters. The first two chapters are used to introduce readers to the contents of the book, while the last chapter contains the author's last remarks. To avoid spoilers, I'll only summarize the first two chapters and the last chapter.

The first chapter, Defining Minimalism for You, explains what minimalism means. It says that minimalism isn't about having only one hundred items, like some internet sites suggest. Instead, it's about getting rid of the items which aren't essential. The second chapter, 3 Simple Steps, talks about the steps one takes to determine which items to keep and which ones to get rid of. It also talks about how to organize the remaining items efficiently, as well as how to maintain minimalism. The last three chapters, Minimizing, Organizing, and Maintaining, only expand on the aforementioned steps. The last chapter, Closing Remarks, cautions the readers against imposing minimalism on their family members.

I liked several things about this book. First, it's important that self-help books are kept short. This ensures that readers don't get bored before finishing the book. The author of this book kept this in mind and, therefore, kept this book short. Second, the structure of this book is very impressive. For instance, the author either numbered the main points or wrote them in bold. This assisted me, especially when taking notes for future reference. Since I didn't find any grammatical errors while reading, this book was exceptionally edited.

In conclusion, this is a great book that teaches its readers how to maintain a simple and healthy lifestyle. There's nothing I disliked about it. I, therefore, rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to anyone who has ever thought of being a minimalist but has been wondering where to start from.

The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
oibstephen_1994
Currently Reading: Devil in False Colors
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by oibstephen_1994 »

I think being minimalist should be everybody daily routine
The book is exceptional i love the thought of the author.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

On a surface look, these things seem like rules we're already familiar with, but taking this journey could demand more effort than we thought. However, I found this of great relevance. Thank you for the review.
martins-+
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by martins-+ »

The act of disposing unwanted items and replacing them with new ones is a primary objective and it promotes a healthy lifestyle & environment
Vidhi Adhikari
Currently Reading: True Teryn
Bookshelf Size: 280
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vidhi-adhikari.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by Vidhi Adhikari »

This is a great book to read, especially for people like me who are trying to live a low waste lifestyle, would definitely recommend this book to my fellow low wasters. Thanks for such a detailed review.
Korie Ifeoma Chisomaga
Favorite Book: How to Survive the Coming Retirement Storm
Currently Reading: TBD August 2022 Book of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-korie-ifeoma-chisomaga.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Korie Ifeoma Chisomaga »

Declutter. Declutter your house. Declutter your mind. Live simply. Create room for expansion. Thank you
Beatrice Ochieng
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatrice-ochieng.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Beatrice Ochieng »

I have watched many videos of minimalism and it is refreshing to have an actual guide. Thank you
ChampagneSon
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-champagneson.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by ChampagneSon »

As a minimalist, this book is very important because it broadens my understanding of minimalism. love how the author kept it short. It is definitely worth reading. Thanks for the review.
Amenrodion
Currently Reading: Fates Sweet Passion
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amenrodion.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Amenrodion »

I would like to practise minimalism for the next 4 months but it looks like it might be really stressful to practise so I will definitely be reading this book as a guide. Great review
Mbenma Esther 080
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbenma-esther-080.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mbenma Esther 080 »

Being a minimalist is good for a person like me that likes keeping unnecessary things around. The is for the review.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an inspirational and educative non-fiction book highlighting minimalism and stress removal by getting rid of all unnecessary things in life. The book is temporarily discounted on Amazon Kindle and has a well-written OnlineBookClub review. Congrats on the BOTD selection.
Mathurambiga Maniom
Favorite Book: Shiver
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mathurambiga-maniom.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mathurambiga Maniom »

The importance of minimalization, where keeping things that we'll use while discarding those that do not needed, either give them away to the needy if still usable, is one of main aspect we have to follow in daily life. The author has conveyed his thoughts very well and organised, in order to educate people. Love this!
Doris Nwoti
Favorite Book: Randy the Irresistible
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doris-nwoti.html
Latest Review: The FBI Inspector by Jay Dubya

Post by Doris Nwoti »

This book is simply a guide to improving one's lifestyle. Imagine how one's life can become easier and their purpose clearer when they take away the non-essential things from their life. Thank you for this intelligent review.
Anu Auriel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Anu Auriel »

Simple. Informative. Enlightening. Practical - these words sums the whole of Pocket Guide to Minimalism

By reading the reviews alone it obvious the writer is a professional in the topic of discuss; the number of pages is an indication of this truth.

A key word that stuck with me in a seemingly philosophical manner is "minimalism is about eliminating unnecessary clutter in your life." A little meditation on this word should help a trained thinker truly examine for his/her own self what is necessary and what isn't.

Not only has the book thus help educate minimalists, it has also given some guide on how to occasionally evaluate oneself and environment in a constructive manner relative to the time the evaluation itself is done.

This book feels special, and should break more grounds than expected. Readers appreciate it and professionals are amused - Great Job!
Pandora10
Favorite Book: Remembering Christmas
Currently Reading: The Road to Management
Bookshelf Size: 116

Post by Pandora10 »

This looks like an easy-to-read book for anyone that wants to get rid of their clutter, but unsure where to start. The fact that it is a short book and well-organized means that the reader can learn the information they need in a brief amount of time. Thanks for the concise review on this book.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”