Review of Mirror Mirror: A Collection of Memoirs and Stories

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Review of Mirror Mirror: A Collection of Memoirs and Stories

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mirror Mirror: A Collection of Memoirs and Stories" by Stephanie Hart.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mirror Mirror: A Collection of Memoirs and Stories by Stephanie Hart is a nonfiction book focusing on the author’s life and family history. Each chapter is devoted to a different time in the author’s life. She recalls experiences as a young child through adulthood with emotion and honesty. She also includes stories about her ancestors who immigrated to the United States. Her detailed descriptions of people and places convey her experiences beautifully. She had complicated relationships with her parents. At times, her memories are painful and harsh words from her parents left scars into adulthood.

The author describes her collection of stories as a mixture of real and imagined events. She recalls significant times in her life and conveys how those events made her feel. She has the unique ability to articulate the emotions she felt at those times regardless of how long ago the incident took place. She describes the stories about her ancestors as invented based on their personalities and her knowledge of her family’s history. These stories include realistic descriptions of life in Russia and the hardships experienced immigrating to a new country.

I enjoyed reading each of the stories presented in this book. The author was able to capture the emotions she felt during these times in her life. She takes the time to provide each character with a physical description and a description of the personality. Readers learn immediately from the description whether this relationship is a positive or negative one in the author’s life. When her parents divorce, Hart describes how her life changed. Her father treated her differently, especially after he remarried. Many readers will be able to relate to these stories about families and the struggles they face.

What I liked most about this book is the honesty conveyed by the author. She describes how she felt when her mother used harsh words with her or made her feel like she wasn’t enough. Their relationship was complicated and unpredictable. She described their love for each other; however, she also received insults when she wasn’t the perfect child. There was nothing I disliked about the book. Each chapter is devoted to a separate story from her life. Read together, readers learn about the friends and family that influenced her throughout her life. I especially enjoyed reading the stories about her ancestors and their lives in Russia. It was interesting to learn how they moved to the United States and built lives for themselves.

I saw less than ten errors in this book, so I believe it was professionally edited. I recommend it to readers who enjoy reading short stories focused on complex family relationships. It would also appeal to readers interested in stories about immigration to the United States. The stories about her ancestors were captivating. I give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. Each story was interesting and conveyed the emotions and experiences of the author in an honest way. For that reason, I did not rate it less than a perfect score.

Mirror Mirror: A Collection of Memoirs and Stories
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ghuddie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghuddie.html
Latest Review: Better Angels Lesley Gore Dusty Springfield by Linden Lelievre

Post by Ghuddie »

The author's life seems to be very adventurous. It'll be great to read more about her. Lovers of memoirs should check this one out.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

I'm not exactly a fan of memoirs, but this is a great read. Thanks for the review
Asiaa Szn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asiaa-szn.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Asiaa Szn »

This is the first time I've come across a memoir, not really interested in this but the review is nice.
Oyedele Tomijane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cleverspider001.html

Post by Oyedele Tomijane »

I think I would enjoy reading about her tumultuous relationship with her mother. Thanks for the review.
Mbenma Esther 080
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbenma-esther-080.html

Post by Mbenma Esther 080 »

I love reading memoirs because of how engaging it is. Thanks for the review
Benedicta1970
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benedicta1970.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Benedicta1970 »

I would love to read this book because of the complicated relationship she had with her parents,thanks for the review.
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

The author's recollections sound entertaining. I look forward to reading about her life. Thank you for a great review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I think all family relationships are complex but, of course, some are more so than others. It must take an awful lot of courage to put your life under the limelight in such an honest way.
Thank you for your review!
Roy Nick
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Post by Roy Nick »

I have read numerous memoirs this year. I'd like to be transported away from reality. I'll pass on this one, at least for now. Nice review!
Hyacinth Bella
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyacinth-bella.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Hyacinth Bella »

I like to read this book because it is honestly written, from her childhood experiences to her adulthood experiences. As a daughter who is always pressured to be the perfect child, I feel like I would connect with this book well and this could potentially make me cry.

Thank you so much for your review, I really appreciate it!
Ibunyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ibunyi.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Ibunyi »

Thanks for the review. I'd like to read this book because of her complicated relationship with her parents. It might shed light on some issues I have with parenting.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Americans always have interesting ancestry stories. I like memoirs but I have read so many lately. I find it interesting how she mixes real and fictional events. Great job with the review.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Anjana Kunwr
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Anjana Kunwr »

The review in itself is quite attracting ,I think I will enjoy reading the book. I am going to give it a shot.
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

I especially like to read about her life growing up in Russia. I am sure to find it fascinating. Thanks for your review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”