Review of The Bloodline and the Jinn

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: A Gift from the Wise Men by Vince Young

Review of The Bloodline and the Jinn

Post by Sou Hi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Bloodline and the Jinn" by Robert O'Neal.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A lot of us grew up with fairy tales filling our childhood memories. One of those would be the story of the Jinn inside Aladdin's magical lamp. We all know what that genie can do. And like us, Robert O'Neal knows that magic is fictional. Yet, this belief seems to change from the day Robert decides to use the gift he received from an old Bedouin to explore his bloodline. It's a parchment that allows you to travel through time, and they say it was created with the help of the Jinn. Is it the truth? Are the Jinn real, or are they just fantasies? If we can rewind the clock, does that mean we can stay with our beloved people forever? If you ask me, The Bloodline and the Jinn by Robert O'Neal is a unique memoir that will answer those questions.

Unlike normal biographies, I'm fascinated by this one's extraordinary. It's a chronicle that records twenty-five generations of Robert's lineages. Using several firsthand witnesses' words, it takes us through eight hundred years of history, exposing bits of their experiences. For example, we will learn about the cruelty of World War I in the story of Robert's father. Back then, countless American troopers were sent to Europe to die. Sadly, where they lost their lives was not on the battlefield. They passed away because of illness on the very ships that were carrying them, and burials at sea were their endings. In Robert's great-grandfather's era, many soldiers returned home with their traumas, leaving parts of themselves alongside their dead comrades.

However, Robert also gets to know more about his ancestors and enjoys happy moments with them. Besides, it's quite interesting to learn of the differences between the past and the present. Additionally, the Jinn are kind of cute, and the narrative usually carries a hint of humor with it.

Unfortunately, this copy has too many grammar errors and formatting issues. The text's fonts and colors are inconsistent, and the lack of necessary quote marks makes the discussions very confusing. Sometimes, I couldn't tell who was talking or which paragraphs belonged to the conversations. Moreover, the details occasionally repeat themselves. For instance, the scenes in the Jinn's realm on pages 84 and 89 are almost identical. Therefore, I think it needs another round of proofreading.

Since the mentioned negative points are not glaring enough to deduct two stars, I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. If you are interested in the Jinn or the author's ancestry, you can give this memoir a try. It doesn't have erotic details or profanities, so both teenagers and adults can read it.

The Bloodline and the Jinn
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ghuddie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghuddie.html
Latest Review: Dogs of Warr by TR Gabriel

Post by Ghuddie »

Again, memoir isn't my favorite literary genre, but I'm sure fans of the genre will like this one. Great review.
Raymond N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raymond-n.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers
2022 Reading Goal: 100
2022 Goal Completion: 10%

Post by Raymond N »

Not sure this is in my wheelhouse. Thanks for the review
beauri21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beauri21.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by beauri21 »

This is my type of story, would read this as soon. Your review is superb. Kudos
Reitumetse M 11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reitumetse-m-11.html
Latest Review: Chasing A Flawed Sun by Daniel McGhee

Post by Reitumetse M 11 »

I was hooked at first but the errors sound like too much for me to handle. Maybe I will check it out when the book has gone through another round of editing as the story does sound interesting.
Oscar E Gomez
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Oscar E Gomez »

If the story has values and is a real pleasure to read it is afloat. A good round of edition and proofreading
will carrie away can save it. Thank you for this review Sou Hi, it is great.
Christopher B 23
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Christopher B 23 »

I loved this book because it was mind boggling and the story sucks you in after every chapter.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: Cell Biology For Babies by Dr. Haitham Ahmed

Post by Ellylion »

Memoir genre is among my favorites, so I would love to read this one :) The concept of the Jinn is very intriguing! Thank you very much for a great review!
CleverSpider001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cleverspider001.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by CleverSpider001 »

Watching Aladdin while I when I was younger made me like Genies. I would love to read a book about that. However, typographical errors would put me off. Thank you for such a lovely review.
Venus2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-venus2304.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright

Post by Venus2304 »

I wish they correct the errors in this book soon because I want to read it and enjoy it.
Good review 👍
Asiaa Szn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asiaa-szn.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
2022 Reading Goal: 10
2022 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Asiaa Szn »

I love how informative the review is, but I always skip memoirs so I'm taking a pass on this book.
Nwadinso Okoro
Currently Reading: Days of the Giants
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-okoro.html
Latest Review: The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy by H. Nattanya Andersen

Post by Nwadinso Okoro »

This book is a non-fictional book that is based on a fictitious belief. I would love to read this piece of memoir so as to know the perspective of the author . Thanks for your review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”