Review of The Germond Family Murders

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Currently Reading: The Arm and the Fall
Bookshelf Size: 386
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Light at The End by Henry G.M. Jones
2022 Reading Goal: 100
2022 Goal Completion: 10%

Review of The Germond Family Murders

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Germond Family Murders" by Vincent P. Cookingham, PhD.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Germond Family Murders: A forensic conclusion to a cold case by Vincent P. Cookingham, PhD is about an unsolved murder in 1930. Mr. and Mrs. Germond, their son, Raymond, and daughter, Bernice, had a combined total of 23 stab wounds. At the time, there was no apparent motive as to why they were murdered or who the murderer was. There were a lot of rumors and write-ups in both national and international publications, but law enforcement never solved the crime. Dr. Vincent Cookingham investigated this case using some of the same methods that should have been used in 1930, along with more current forensic science. He revealed how rumors and false reporting impacted the case. He explained the VIN rules and their role in his investigation. He also won a lawsuit to get the evidence - the court order is conspicuously mentioned in the body of the report and contained in an actual copy of the court order at the end under “exhibits”. A law firm represented him pro Bono due to the historical nature of this famous crime. This book summarizes his investigation and his conclusion about who the murderer was and their motive.

Overall, this book is an interesting read. Dr. Cookingham begins the book with his family history because his grandparents lived near the Germond family and knew them. This history made the book feel more authentic and personal by letting me know the customs and living conditions of the characters. At the beginning of the book, there are pictures of the Germond family, which helped me visualize them as I was reading the book.

Although the book was interesting, it had many negative aspects that disrupted my reading pleasure. The main problem is that a professional editor has not edited this book. The lack of editing has resulted in repetitiveness in sentences and errors like missing words, wrong words “ever” instead of “even,” “to” instead of “the,” to name a few. There are more than ten errors in the first 31 pages. Dr. Cookingham acknowledges in the book that some of the text is intentionally repetitive due to its complexity and confusion. However, this made the book drag in those sections and did not explain all of the repetitiveness. One error in this book could make readers question his credibility in writing the book. It is the sentence, “There are no witness statements preserved in the record at the Sheriff’s Office and they are of varying quality.” How can they be of varying quality if there are no witness statements? There is only this one instance, so I do not question his credibility, but a professional editor would have found this. Dr. Cookingham has included many exhibits at the end of the book, but their quality is bad, and they are hard to read.

Due to the number of errors and their nature, I can only give this book 2 out of 4 stars. I did not give this book one star because it is interesting. I did not give the book three stars because of the severity of the error that could question Dr. Cookingham’s credibility.

I recommend this book to adult readers who enjoy crime thrillers or true-crime stories. I do not recommend it to younger or sensitive readers because there is some gory content, especially within the autopsy reports.

The Germond Family Murders
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Ghuddie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghuddie.html
Latest Review: Dogs of Warr by TR Gabriel

Post by Ghuddie »

Intriguing story. There's no doubt that lovers of crime fiction will have a great time reading this. Well done on a great review.
Raymond N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raymond-n.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi
2022 Reading Goal: 100
2022 Goal Completion: 13%

Post by Raymond N »

Interesting storyline. I love murder mystery. Thanks for the review
Apple 7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apple-7.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Apple 7 »

Crime thrillers always present mysterious happenings that tend to send chills down ones s pine, though the errors might get in the way....very nice review
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Amy Luman »

I am not personally interested in this type of book. Dr.Cookingham does not seem to have a handle on the evidence. I can see, however, how he wants to find his relatives’ murderer.
CleverSpider001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cleverspider001.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by CleverSpider001 »

Oh wow, "based on a true story" tales always give me the shivers. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”