Review of Puke… a diary of 2021

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Faithy_Star
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithy-star.html
Latest Review: My life with PSORIASIS by Ross Gambril

Review of Puke… a diary of 2021

Post by Faithy_Star »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Puke… a diary of 2021" by Barbara Logan.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Barbara Logan’s Puke… a diary of 2021 is a book that contains the events that happened in the United States and some other parts of the world in the year 2021 and the writer’s thoughts, opinions, and even theories about them. If you live in the United States, think of the political or controversial issues that happened, and you already have a fair idea of what is contained in this book. The author’s experiences with her friends, family, pet, as well as her romantic relationships and professional life, are also core parts of the book.

Barbara Logan introduced herself as a Democrat and a psychiatric nurse practitioner, and they reflected in this book. She listed some psychological problems and diagnosed some groups of individuals who she sees as a problem based on their behaviours in the course of pouring out her thoughts on relevant issues raised.

Among others, some notable and recurring events that occurred in the US in 2021 include police brutality and mass shooting. As a result, some of Logan’s views were bordering on the issue of racism, police reform, and gun control. Indeed, these are important topics, albeit controversial, that must be had. The issues of racism and mass shooting particularly stood out for me, and I kept wondering how and why a supposedly first-world country keep experiencing that in 2021.

Importantly, Puke… a diary of 2021 is raw and with little or no censors. There are literally profanities on almost every page. Considering the nature of the book, I had little issues with them. However, those who this may bother should take note. In no particular order, this book was an entertaining, insightful, educating, and heart-wrenching read. I enjoyed reading it to a large extent.

This book is somewhat a light read. It does not need much mental strain to understand. It can be read while relaxing or for entertainment or leisure purposes, and you will definitely laugh out loud at different points while reading it. However, at a point, the psychological talks became a tad brain-tasking.

On the downside, I honestly believe this book needs more organization. At a point, it felt like the author’s thoughts were all over the place. Furthermore, chapters were not well spelt out or numbered. The author merely used words like “Next chapter” to identify a new chapter. I would have appreciated it more if each chapter was accompanied by a number alongside a chapter title. On the other hand, it seemed as though some issues were overly repeated in different forms. An example is the issue of Republicans believing that Trump won the election. Furthermore, I do not think the author engaged the services of a professional editor, as there were numerous basic errors spread all over the book. Therefore, the book needs the services of a professional editor and proofreader.

As a result of the above downsides to this book, I will give it a rating of three out of fours stars. I decided not to give it a lower rating because I found most of the topics in it relevant.

If you want to know a Democrat’s views on religion, racism, police brutality, American politics, and other issues, this book is for you. Thus, I recommend this book to anyone passionate about the above topics.

Puke… a diary of 2021
View: on Bookshelves
Raymond N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raymond-n.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi
2022 Reading Goal: 100
2022 Goal Completion: 13%

Post by Raymond N »

I'm not sure this is in my wheelhouse, but this is a great review. Thank you.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”