Review of Up From Suicide And Other Short Stories

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
B Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Eight Days That Changed History
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b-creech.html
Latest Review: Friendship City by Carl H. Mitchell
2022 Reading Goal: 30
2022 Goal Completion: 13%

Review of Up From Suicide And Other Short Stories

Post by B Creech »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Up From Suicide And Other Short Stories" by Irene Pierce Dunn.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Many times when I read someone's memoir, I wonder how they survived the things they have gone through. I wonder how they have survived at all. In her book Up From Suicide and Other Short Stories, Irene Pierce Dunn shares her life through a series of short stories that reveal her deepest, darkest secrets.

Irene, better known as 'Renie' to people who knew her, was in foster care by the time she was four. Irene grew up in foster homes because of her dysfunctional alcoholic parents. She shares the story of her foster homes, the sexual abuse she endured, being made to do most of the chores, and being afraid to say anything because they might send her back to the orphanage where she had stayed until the age of ten. In "Daddy's Not Home," she tells about the first time she got raped, and in "Pretend You Are Asleep," Irene reveals how a foster dad molested her. Irene went back and lived with her birth mother for a while, only to be molested by her mother's boyfriends. Ostracized by schoolmates, made fun of by neighborhood children, and angry at life, Irene ran away and became the victim of child trafficking at fourteen. After two failed marriages, several attempted suicides, three psychotic episode hospitalizations, and diagnoses of manic depressive disorder and schizophrenia, Irene found herself alone with a small child and a mental illness, wondering how she would make it on her own. Irene believed in God but wasn't living for Him. She was into tarot cards, horoscopes, and smoking marijuana. Does Irene ever find peace? As a single mom with a mental illness, was she able to cope with raising her son? Does Irene ever resolve her relationship with God? You will need to read the book to find out.

Irene has written twenty short stories and compiled them into this book. The book reads like a chapter book, but the 'chapters' comprise different stories from Irene's life. And what a tumultuous life it has been. With such titles to the stories as "My Mother My Muddle," "When The Mind Calls For Time Out," and my favorite, "And God Laughed," one can only imagine what Irene went through. She knows firsthand the stigma that surrounds mental illness. I am impressed with Irene's determination and stamina in overcoming all she has endured. Irene advocated for her neighbors by organizing a group to stop the rent from being doubled in her apartment building. As someone who worked in New York City, she recounts the impact 9/11 had on her, and Irene describes how she is coping with the COVID-19 pandemic.

My favorite part of this book was Irene's transparency about her life. She wanted to let others know you can overcome any obstacle in life if you trust God. Most people who went through what she did for most of their life would not come out on top, but Irene did. She never felt she was worthy of God's love. She gives several examples in the book of how God intervened in her life even when she was in a backslidden condition. In the story "And God Laughed," the reader will find the answer to how Irene finally realized how much God loves her.

There wasn't anything I did not like about this book. It is well written, and I only found a few errors. I believe the book had professional editing. "Gratitude" and "Abba Father," the last two stories, humbled me. I am pleased to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars for those reasons just mentioned and more. I strongly recommend this book to those searching for answers to the trials they face. Although this book speaks a lot about God and salvation, it is suitable for all ages, regardless of their faith. Everyone will take something positive away from this book.

Up From Suicide And Other Short Stories
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
B. Creech
AmberLiz
Currently Reading: The Freedom Building
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amberliz.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by AmberLiz »

Wow. Thank you for you genuine and honest review. This would be a difficult book for me to read, but I know that it would benefit me in multiple ways. Adding it to my bookshelf. Thank you again for your review!
Purplesturv
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purplesturv.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Purplesturv »

The chapter titles are intriguing. It does take grace to share such dark stories about one's life. I hope that the right people find this book and can draw strength from it. Thank you for this insightful review.
B Creech

Post by B Creech »

AmberLiz wrote: 05 Jan 2022, 11:33 Wow. Thank you for you genuine and honest review. This would be a difficult book for me to read, but I know that it would benefit me in multiple ways. Adding it to my bookshelf. Thank you again for your review!
The author went through so many things and still came out on top. That takes a lot of courage! I hope you get a chance to read the book! Thanks for stopping by.
B. Creech
B Creech

Post by B Creech »

Purplesturv wrote: 05 Jan 2022, 11:45 The chapter titles are intriguing. It does take grace to share such dark stories about one's life. I hope that the right people find this book and can draw strength from it. Thank you for this insightful review.
I hope so too! Thanks for stopping by and commenting.
B. Creech
Pencrafter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pencrafter.html
Latest Review: Wrath of Justice by Denna Holm

Post by Pencrafter »

Irene seems like a very strong lady. It amazes me how she survived all this.
Ghuddie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghuddie.html
Latest Review: Dogs of Warr by TR Gabriel

Post by Ghuddie »

Reading Irene's story will give lots of strength to people passing similar situations. This is a good review. Well done.
B Creech

Post by B Creech »

Ghuddie wrote: 08 Jan 2022, 00:41 Reading Irene's story will give lots of strength to people passing similar situations. This is a good review. Well done.
Thank you! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
katerina_12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katerina-12.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by katerina_12 »

Thanks for your detailed review. This book seems to be sensitive and uplifting. I guess I will definitely read it.
B Creech

Post by B Creech »

katerina_12 wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 06:18 Thanks for your detailed review. This book seems to be sensitive and uplifting. I guess I will definitely read it.
The author is an amazing woman to have survived all she went through! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
B Creech

Post by B Creech »

Pencrafter wrote: 05 Jan 2022, 23:46 Irene seems like a very strong lady. It amazes me how she survived all this.
Her strength amazes me too! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
Abigael 1979
Bookshelf Size: 0
2022 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Abigael 1979 »

Irene is a mark of an assertive woman this shows that one can go through a very tough experience only to outshine the predicament and the rest remains history
Venus2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-venus2304.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright

Post by Venus2304 »

This book's review hit home. It's a book I need to read. I want to know how Irene later found out that God loves her. I want to know if God loves me too after all that has happened to me.
Florence Njeri 1
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Florence Njeri 1 »

Wooow.....The review leaves pending questioned ringing in my head, and the only way to find the answers is by adding the book to my shelve. I wonder how Irene overcame all of this in her life.
B Creech

Post by B Creech »

Abigael 1979 wrote: 12 Jan 2022, 15:49 Irene is a mark of an assertive woman this shows that one can go through a very tough experience only to outshine the predicament and the rest remains history
Not many people could go through all that she went through and go on to have a great life! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”