Review of Phobia Relief

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nqobile771
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile771.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
2022 Reading Goal: 40
2022 Goal Completion: 60%

Review of Phobia Relief

Post by Nqobile771 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Phobia Relief" by Kalliope Barlis.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Are you unable to live your life to the fullest because of a phobia that is holding you back? Do you wish to get relief from that phobia? Look no further than Phobia Relief: From Fear to Freedom by Kalliope Barlis, a licensed trainer of Neuro-Linguistic Programming.

Barlis describes Neuro-Linguistic Programming as a technology of thought that leads to an art form of thinking. After studying how the brain acts, reacts, and functions when a person is in a fearful state and exploring the various techniques employed to overcome fears, Dr. Bandler (co-creator) derived the Neuro-Linguistic Programming to simplify the process of resolving fear through a single and effective sequence. This technique was derived over forty years ago and has been implemented with an overwhelming success rate. Barlis has adopted and refined this technique to relieve her clients from their fears and phobia.

In this book, Barlis details how she implements this technique to help her clients and shares testimonies of some of these clients. Her client’s fears and phobias range from a fear of heights, snakes, spiders, clowns, and several others.

The book is compact, with only 138 pages and three brief sections that comprise theory and practical applications. Part one equips the reader to shrink their phobias. In this first part, the author differentiates between fear and phobia and discusses how one can be relieved from their phobia. Readers are empowered with skills and techniques to help them transition from fear to freedom by feeding their focus and starving their fears in the second part. In the last part, the author shows how Neuro-Linguistic Programming is applied by sharing a client session transcript. The author has also included a glossary and a list of references that readers can consult for further reading about Neuro-Linguistic Programming.

There were several positive aspects to this book. Considering that Neuro-Linguistic Programming is a new concept to me, Barlis presented it in a simplistic and easy-to-understand format. The exercises were also easy to execute. Another aspect that fascinated me was Barlis’ approach to relieving people of their fears. Instead of talking about your fear and reliving your nightmares, Barlis encourages her clients (and readers) to focus on the result: what they wish to achieve.

Barlis argues that focusing on and talking about your fears (and trauma) creates more detail and reinforces pathways in the brain instead of creating new ones that will lead to quicker relief or healing. This narrative made so much sense to me and explains why, despite countless counseling sessions, some people still come out the same, if not with more resentment from those sessions.

I can categorically state that there was nothing I disliked about the book. It appeared to be professionally edited as I came across very few errors in it. I found the book’s content to be enlightening and empowering. For these reasons, I am awarding it 4 out of 4 stars.

This book is ideal for individuals interested in psychology, psychiatry, and the human mind. Readers with fears and phobias of various kinds and who are open to exploring the Neuro-Linguistic Programming technique will find this book beneficial.

Phobia Relief
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
peter-turo
Favorite Book: Rescuing General Patton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peter-turo.html
Latest Review: Murder in the Garbage by Jerry A Greenberg
2022 Reading Goal: 24
2022 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by peter-turo »

Well this book sounds helpful to manage fear and phobia. I believe one big obstacle that limits and holds people back is fear. I'm glad that his developed technique-Neuro linguistic programming has helped his clients. I'm interested to find out. Nice review here.
Blessing E
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-e.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Blessing E »

Truth be told, this is an exceptionally written review that gives every reader a proper information about what to expect. Must read book
Ifesi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ifesi.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Ifesi »

This review sounds interesting. Not my genre of book but thanks for a wonderful and intriguing review.
Shillah kigen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-kigen.html
Latest Review: The Parrot's Perch by Karen Keilt
2022 Reading Goal: 200
2022 Goal Completion: 10%

Post by Shillah kigen »

I love psychology. I think most people have phobias that they would love to talk about and overcome one way or the other. I'd also like to learn more about neuro linguistic programming.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: My Big Tow Book#2 by Kyle Chirgwin

Post by Ellylion »

Phobias haunt many of us and I am not an exception, unfortunately. I am glad that the author explains Neuro-Linguistic Programming in simple, easy to comprehend way. I would love to check this one out! Thanks for a great review :)
Marsha JJ
Favorite Book: Man Mission
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marsha-jj.html
Latest Review: Not to Touch the Earth by Felix Little
2022 Reading Goal: 20
2022 Goal Completion: 275%

Post by Marsha JJ »

This looks like an interesting book, and given my interest in Neuro-Linguistic Programming, I would love to check this one out.
Uwe Neufeld
Favorite Author: Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Favorite Book: Treasure Island
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uwe-neufeld.html
Latest Review: Living in Color by Mike Murphy
fav_author_id: 3039
2022 Reading Goal: 20
2022 Goal Completion: 110%

Post by Uwe Neufeld »

I suffer of a height phobia and I think this book will help me. Must also say thanks to the reviewer who did a good job in briefly describing the healing process.
Jydel
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Currently Reading: Nimue
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jydel.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Higher Ground by Thomas A. Brigger

Post by Jydel »

I love to learn about new things and particularly love self-help books. Phobia is something that is part and parcel of the human race. We fear different things and sometimes, this fear can be crippling. It would be good to have a way to overcome it even if it is just a book to coach you through it.
Buch1-Dm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buch1-dm.html
Latest Review: Inside the Mind of a Cancer Patient by R.J. Windham

Post by Buch1-Dm »

We always have phobia going through life and a book that educates one on how to overcome phobia and live with a lot less fear will be such a worthwhile read. Great review.
Mrs D O
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrs-d-o.html
Latest Review: The First Time Father by Thomas Alfie

Post by Mrs D O »

I found the book’s content to be enlightening and empowering.
I enjoyed reading your informative review and was especially interested in the comment you made above. Its good know that the author is helping people access the benefits of NLP to overcome phobias without having to see an NLP practitioner. Thank you.
Stevenmusk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevenmusk.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor
2022 Reading Goal: 50
2022 Goal Completion: 8%

Post by Stevenmusk »

A daring book to test your limits and try new things. I love it. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”