Review of Healing Wounds of the Soul

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 434
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: Healing Wounds of the Soul by Elizabeth Campos
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review of Healing Wounds of the Soul

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Healing Wounds of the Soul" by Elizabeth Campos.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Healing the Wounds of the Soul, by Elizabeth Campos is a true story of one woman’s survival. Ithan was abandoned as a baby; her mother felt she could not care for a child alone. Although Ithan experienced love from the man who raised her early in life, Ithan endured many hardships. After the death of her father figure, Ithan experienced abuse, both physical and sexual, and she was forced into sex work at a young age. As Ithan ages, life does not get any easier. Multiple pregnancies, medical issues, and continued abuse plague her life for years.

This book focuses on the incredible resilience of one woman. Ithan’s story is tragic, but the author relays the narrative through a positive lens. Although Ithan experiences unbearable hardships, she perseveres and ultimately becomes proud of her life. Ithan experiences cruelty many of us have never, and will never, endure. Her experiences with motherhood, working, relationships, family, and coming of age are all difficult to read about, which makes Ithan’s story all the more eye opening. Elizabeth Campos sharply brings to light issues regarding the child sex trade and the political atmosphere in Mexico.

Although Ithan’s story is incredibly important and one that should be read by many, Healing the Wounds of the Soul needs additional work to do the story justice. The narrative reads like a first draft: there are many grammatical errors, the writing is not polished, and the story is flimsy. Significantly more details about Ithan are needed for readers to truly connect to this incredible woman. The author focuses too much on the bad events of Ithan’s life and fails to show readers a well-drawn persona, which hinders the author's message that we should be defined by more than just the bad things that happen to us. Similarly, aspects of the story felt rushed and not fully fleshed out, which made parts of the story difficult to follow.

Moreover, the book contains a few short stories after the initial narrative as well as an epilogue. The short stories did not add much to Ithan’s story and felt more like an afterthought. Additionally, the epilogue was confusing; it seemed as though the author unveiled herself as Ithan, though this was never made completely clear. I struggled to determine the author’s relationship to Ithan throughout the narrative, and this confusion hindered the general flow of the story.

Reading Healing the Wounds of the Soul was difficult. The majority of the book focuses on sexual abuse, physical abuse, and child abuse. However, Ithan’s story is one that is incredibly important because it sheds light on issues that most of us would rather not think about. Elizabeth Campos’ work is successful in so many ways; however, significantly more editing is required for Ithan’s story to be as impactful as it deserves. Due to the editorial issues, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I did not choose a lower rating because I was so impacted by this book, despite the editorial problems. Readers who are interested in non-fiction books that detail different perspectives and shed light on difficult subjects should definitely read this book; however, readers should be warned that there are many mentions of various types of abuse in Campos' narrative.

Healing Wounds of the Soul
View: on Bookshelves
"No two persons ever read the same book." -Edmund Wilson
Poojitha Borra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poojitha-borra.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Poojitha Borra »

Your review is well drafted. It gave me a good insight on the plot.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Pencrafter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pencrafter.html
Latest Review: Wrath of Justice by Denna Holm

Post by Pencrafter »

Ithan is a well written character. I am impressed by her strength and ability to survive. Thank you for your review of this amazing book.
Pencrafter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pencrafter.html
Latest Review: Wrath of Justice by Denna Holm

Post by Pencrafter »

Poojitha Borra wrote: ↑01 Jan 2022, 06:15 Your review is well drafted. It gave me a good insight on the plot.
I am curious to read more.
Ceeco2002
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ceeco2002.html
Latest Review: The Party Line by Dennis D. Gagnon
2022 Reading Goal: 500
2022 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Ceeco2002 »

You did a really good job with the review of this book. It indeed exposes the struggles of Ithan at a glance. I think it is very interesting to know that she survived and overcame all the hardships life threw at her.
Chinenye Achilike
Currently Reading: TBD August 2022 Book of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Chinenye Achilike »

I'm happy to know that Ithan came through all the struggles.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”