Review of We have suffered enough. Let our next generation to be free

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Review of We have suffered enough. Let our next generation to be free

Post by Harty Muli »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "We have suffered enough. Let our next generation to be free" by Ademir Souza.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In his book, We Have Suffered Enough. Let Our Next Generation to be Free, Ademir Souza considers the challenges of governance in his native homeland of Brazil. He hopes the younger generation, for whom the book is intended for, will learn from the mistakes of past Brazilian administrations and make the right choice in selecting future leaders. One key issue that forms the backbone of his writing relates to the ideology of the different political parties in Brazil. And of most concern to him, nonetheless, is the fact that young working-class men and women think that communism is the key to success and freedom.

The first few chapters of his book are concerned with the history of political thought in his country, as he traces Brazil’s political metamorphosis from a monarchy to a democracy. On gaining independence in 1822, Brazil adopted a constitutional monarchy under an emperor, before experimenting with a two-party system founded on the British model. From 1889 to 1930, Brazil adopted a constitutional framework hinged on the U.S. constitution under a president. After WWI, Brazil’s constitution was remodeled after Benito Mussolini’s, Italian leader’s, constitution, which ushered in the politics of corporatism in Brazil. The years 1945 to 1965, on the other hand, were known for multiparty democratic politics, before the army seized power and exercised sole control of the government for the next two decades. Eventually, in 1985, Brazil saw the transition of power back to a civilian president.

I must admit that before President Jair Bolsonaro’s, the current Brazilian president’s, term, I knew nothing about Brazil’s politics. Then, early in 2020, as if he was out to win a popularity contest, I heard that he’d dismissed the coronavirus disease as a “little flu.” So, what I liked most in this book had to do with his story and flamboyant personality. Of Brazil’s former or current leaders, Jair Bolsonaro, the former army captain, stands out because he’s anti-establishment and the country’s first far-right leader (all the others subscribed to leftist ideologies). Significantly, Bolsonaro was elected against the background of a massive criminal investigation that saw two former presidents either jailed or impeached from office. Given these circumstances, I would’ve, similarly, voted for the man; though, I think he’s a little misunderstood, especially by the media.

Contrastingly, Souza’s book is not without fault. Other than the editing errors that were enough to affect its rating, I felt that Souza had included some unverified information in his work. For example, writing about a rally that had been organized on the country’s Independence Day, Souza framed his report as follows: “…there were ‘unconfirmed’ reports that Bolsonaro planned to mobilize mobs of armed citizens…” Yet in another story based on a São Paulo rally that was addressed by Bolsonaro on the eve of the same holiday, Souza reported that “Bolsonaro ‘supposedly’ condemned the STF (The Supreme Federal Court) minister, Alexandre de Moraes…”

Due to this, I found Souza’s book hard to follow and comprehend. Because of the two weaknesses, I rate the book 2 out of 4 stars. I recommend the book to anyone interested in Brazil’s establishment, history, and nationalism. At the same time, the information contained in the book may be extraneous to anyone living outside Brazil.

We have suffered enough. Let our next generation to be free
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
José Cortez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jos-cortez.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Golden Door (Audiobook Version) by Ali Master

Post by José Cortez »

This book does not look like a good fit for me. I guess I would have to pass. Thank you for this awesome review.
Miracle Ozuma
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Miracle Ozuma »

This book is a kind of describing the way I feel now.
Badmusjamiu44
Favorite Book: Just Give Me a Soft Place to Land
Currently Reading: Preppers Medical Handbook
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Badmusjamiu44 »

This book revealed the agony of slavery of any kind and agitation to freedoms. And everlasting breakthrough in the lands of both colonial master's and political tyran.
Harsh Soni 3
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: How To Be Successful
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harsh-soni-3.html
Latest Review: Money Habits Grandma Taught Me by Luke Pentagon

Post by Harsh Soni 3 »

It appears that the book is vital in understanding the politics in the Brazil, at the same time it also seems polarized and one-sided. I am uncertain whether I am going to read it or not, but it will surely in my reading list. Thanks for this great review.
Ghuddie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghuddie.html
Latest Review: Better Angels Lesley Gore Dusty Springfield by Linden Lelievre

Post by Ghuddie »

A book on understanding the Brazilian political space will be great to read, especially for people that are politically inclined. Great review.
Venus2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-venus2304.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright

Post by Venus2304 »

This doesn't seem like what I can devote time to read. Nice work on the review anyway.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”