Review of Riding with the King

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Booklover Becca
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover-becca.html
Latest Review: Riding with the King by Thomas amsden

Review of Riding with the King

Post by Booklover Becca »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Riding with the King" by Thomas amsden.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Riding with the King, by Thomas Amsden, is an autobiography about the author’s adventurous life with all the ups, downs, and mishaps he had until he met Jesus and became a true believer. Amsden manages to be in constant trouble growing up, especially in school. He eventually joins the navy, finds himself in even more rowdy situations, and goes on to work a series of jobs, including starting his own business, before seeing Jesus and following His instructions to uproot Amsden’s life and move to Alabama.

I believe the most positive aspect of this book is the author’s genuinely unfiltered voice. The reader can clearly see who he is at all stages in his life. He holds nothing back in relation to himself and his thoughts. Some of these don’t put him in a flattering light and use strong or harsh language, but I believe it’s all essential for the reader to understand that the overall voice coming through is still his.

Through his unique perspective, he makes some interesting observations about himself and the world around him. For example, I thought it worth noting when he said the devil works by getting people to overthink instead of taking action.

Despite appreciating Amsden’s unique voice and perspectives, I had difficulty following his story at times. He skips around with his stories, jumping back to childhood then adulthood pre and post meeting Jesus. Normally, this isn’t something negative, but it was written in a way that made me question if a chapter was out of place or written completely separate from the rest of the book. One example is when he introduces his brother Pat in the first chapter. In the second chapter, however, Pat is reintroduced and now the author says Pat’s nickname is Tubes and proceeds to oscillate between the names.

A large part of Amsden’s life has been his pranks and fighting. He is, afterall, a body builder and personal trainer. While I can appreciate that being a large influence in his life, there seems to be a disproportionately high amount of stories about his memorable fights and pranks to the relatively few stories about his transformational belief and the effect it has had on his life, which he continues to remind the reader is the point of his story. It was also difficult at times to follow if his stories were real or fantasy. He writes about all of them in detail as if they’ve happened, but some seem improbable and the author admits that he has a very active and detailed imagination.

I rate this book two out of four stars. I encountered more than ten errors which makes me question if the book was professionally edited, and unfortunately, the negatives outweigh the positives of the author’s writing at this point.

Despite my lower rating, I do recommend this book for the author’s overall voice and personal story. As I’ve mentioned, there is some quite strong language and also some scenes that would be inappropriate for young readers. Therefore, I recommend this book to a mature audience who is willing to see the inspiration through the chaos and wants to be reminded that anyone can be transformed through Jesus.

Riding with the King
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Taana Ueh
Currently Reading: Rise of the Savior
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taana-ueh.html
Latest Review: No Dark Clouds by R W Nelson

Post by Taana Ueh »

I think the amount time spent in proving a point determines if that really is the point. If the book was supposedly about transformational belief but that point isn't sufficiently dealt with, that could be a problem.
Thank you for the honest review.
JamesJaphet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesjaphet.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by JamesJaphet »

Thomas' life seems to be one filled with so many adventures. Lovers of autobiographies will enjoy this one. Great review.
Hyacinth Bella
Currently Reading: Norwegian Wood
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyacinth-bella.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White
2022 Reading Goal: 70
2022 Goal Completion: 1%

Post by Hyacinth Bella »

The only thing that keeps me entertained when reading these autobiographies about religion is to see how unbreakable the belief of the author is (I am not really religious, so I am not much intrigued by these kinds of autobiographies). Thank you for the lovely and honest review!
Pencrafter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pencrafter.html
Latest Review: Never A Dull Moment by Mim Egan

Post by Pencrafter »

The author paid keen attention to the readers. It was apparent he intended for us to know him at all points in the book. However, autobiographies are not for me. Thank you for your honest review.
Booklover Becca
Currently Reading:

Taana Ueh wrote: ↑26 Dec 2021, 06:54 I think the amount time spent in proving a point determines if that really is the point. If the book was supposedly about transformational belief but that point isn't sufficiently dealt with, that could be a problem.
Thank you for the honest review.
I agree. There were times I thought the author maybe knew he’d gotten himself off track and needed to remind the reader of the purpose of his book. But I think maybe more editing and rearranging of the topics would’ve served him better. Thanks for stopping by!
Booklover Becca
Currently Reading:

Hyacinth Bella wrote: ↑04 Jan 2022, 11:21 The only thing that keeps me entertained when reading these autobiographies about religion is to see how unbreakable the belief of the author is (I am not really religious, so I am not much intrigued by these kinds of autobiographies). Thank you for the lovely and honest review!
That’s a good point. I like knowing a little about them after the transformation to see how it’s truly changed their lives.
Booklover Becca
Currently Reading:

Pencrafter wrote: ↑06 Jan 2022, 01:07 The author paid keen attention to the readers. It was apparent he intended for us to know him at all points in the book. However, autobiographies are not for me. Thank you for your honest review.
Thanks for stopping by. And I completely agree. That was one of the big positives for me is that the author really seemed to care about his reader and let them know that he was thinking of them.
Booklover Becca
Currently Reading:

JamesJaphet wrote: ↑27 Dec 2021, 04:07 Thomas' life seems to be one filled with so many adventures. Lovers of autobiographies will enjoy this one. Great review.
It really is! He got himself in a lot of sticky situations but always pulled through. Thanks for stopping by!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”