Review of OverComing Awkward

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: OverComing Awkward by Monica Parkin
2022 Reading Goal: 15
2022 Goal Completion: 0%

Review of OverComing Awkward

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "OverComing Awkward" by Monica Parkin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Imagine you have a custom jewelry business, and despite offering a high-quality product, you’re unable to make any sales. It’s discouraging—you’ve invested time and money into advertising, but it’s not increasing revenue. What gives? You’re likely going about it the wrong way; maybe, like the author (and me!), you’re incredibly introverted. You loathe social situations, especially networking events, and it shows by your abysmal results. So what can you do? Well, you could cut your losses now and tell yourself it’s too hard, or you can read Overcoming Awkward: The Introvert's Guide to Networking, Marketing, and Sales by Monica Parkin and transform your life!

In this handy guide, the author uses her past experiences as an introverted businesswoman to help others reach their personal and professional goals. And guess what? It doesn’t involve uncomfortable shmoozing to get there!

In the first part of the book, the author summarizes her journey as a mortgage broker—the struggles she overcame and how she used her unique skill set to gain clients. She built a fulfilling life and a profitable business by fostering meaningful friendships and gaining client trust. Parkin shows the reader how to seek clients, sustain credibility, and sow the seeds necessary for future connections with easy-to-implement steps.

My favorite aspect of the book was the uncomplicated narrative the author employed. She didn’t use technical terminology exclusive to her industry, so her advice was not only insightful but easy to follow. Readers with no business background will find the material straightforward. I specifically loved the relatable hunter/farmer example she used to emphasize the importance of playing the long game versus making self-serving decisions that could scare away clients.

Each chapter was packed with valuable tips and tidbits from Parkin’s life to illustrate the points she was trying to drive home. For example, when emphasizing the importance of accountability, Parkin shared her experience of having a mentor, who she trusted to call her out when it was necessary. I also adored the chapter about the importance of maintaining communication by conducting frequent check-ins with clients.

There was nothing to dislike about the book. On the contrary, I read the last page feeling grateful that I had acquired so much knowledge in a short amount of time and confident I could draw on these strategies in the future. With that being said, it is my pleasure to give the writing a rating of four out of four stars. It was fiercely relatable, and readers from all backgrounds will find the information beneficial and relevant.

There were no issues with grammar or spelling, and the editing was exceptional. I would happily recommend Overcoming Awkward: The Introvert's Guide to Networking, Marketing, and Sales to anyone who has ever felt trapped by extreme shyness. This book will not only help on a professional level, but it will transform all other facets of your life. You don’t want to miss out on this!

OverComing Awkward
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Sarah Sonbol
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Wellness Toolbox by Don Roberts
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

This books looks interseting for an introvert like me. I've never thought about working in sales or marketing because I prefer less communication with others. Thanks for the great review.
Tebogo Eugene M
Currently Reading: Randy the Irresistible
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tebogo-eugene-m.html
Latest Review: Fast Starting a Career of Consequence: Workbook by Fred Sievert
2022 Reading Goal: 55
2022 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Tebogo Eugene M »

Interesting book for business world. Thanks for sharing the review.
destipath247
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by destipath247 »

I have also observed my personal discomfort when faced with marketing my values to others. Glad to know there is a way out, my personal trait notwithstanding. Grateful to the author of this book and to the reviewer.
Lucy V
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucy-v.html
Latest Review: When They Came For Me by John R. Schlapobersky

Post by Lucy V »

It is so thoughtful of Parkin to want to share life experiences to help other people succeed. Thank you for this review.
Modestar24
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Modestar24 »

This book inspires young entrepreneurs to do their best despite the business situations they are in. I would encourage this book for both developing and young entrepreneurs. Congratulations on BOTD
Harsh Soni 3
Favorite Book: How To Be Successful
Currently Reading: My Life Journey in the New York Supreme Court
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harsh-soni-3.html
Latest Review: God is a Verb by Lynn Keller

Post by Harsh Soni 3 »

This book seems interesting to me, as it discusses how can introverts overcome communication shyness. It is always helpful to share personal experience to describe the content. I will surely consider this book for reading. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”