Review of The Last Stop

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kira Bonita Reece
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy, Box Set
Bookshelf Size: 358
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kira-bonita-reece.html
Latest Review: Starboard Eight by Brian Casey

Re: Review of The Last Stop

Post by Kira Bonita Reece »

It seems that David became an addict not of his own free will but because drugs were introduced to him because of his accident. It must be hard to witness your own child suffering from substance abuse. I enjoyed reading your review and I'm happy the mother was able to find some sort of closure by publishing this book. Thanks for your thoughts. I'm sure this book will help a lot of families who are struggling with the same problem.
Obinna1995
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obinna1995.html
Latest Review: Smart Love by Vincent Fudge II

Post by Obinna1995 »

The author shared her real-life experience in this book on how her son passed through drug addiction. This book create awareness of the ugly effect of drug addiction.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an interesting inspirational non-fiction memoir highlighting a parent losing a son, grief, heroin addiction, opiates, family, and growth. The book is temporarily discounted on Amazon Kindle and has a well-written OnlineBookClub review. Congrats on the BOTD selection.
Pandora10
Favorite Book: Remembering Christmas
Currently Reading: The Road to Management
Bookshelf Size: 116

Post by Pandora10 »

I admire the author for her honesty in admitting she made mistakes, revealing small problems in David's behavior as a young child, and her realization that he had an ability to manipulate. It is so heartbreaking that they did not take the Doctor's advice to amputate, though it is also easy to imagine why parents in such a predicament would be reluctant. When reaching the section which revealed his marriage, I had to wonder was the young woman told the reality of David's addiction. I hope that this book will be read by many parents, and that they will get some help and encouragement from it. It's a difficult story to read in many ways.
Tebogo Eugene M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 241
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tebogo-eugene-m.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Tebogo Eugene M »

Yha come to think about it a drug addict is affecting his/her own life. But at the end we are all affected family, friends, community and the national. Because loosing your love one's is not easy. Even when we are not related, but we are still brothers and sisters.
To the family thinks for sharing the story.
Julius mutunga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Julius mutunga »

The Last Stop is a book in which the author, Patricia Street, frankly recounts her experiences with her son, David, a long-term addict. What she tells us is a long tale about how she attempts to cope with someone she loves but doesn't trust; someone she wants to believe but is constantly suspicious that what she's being told isn't the truth; someone she wants to assist but is hesitant to enable. Street's portrayal of David's addiction is realistic, as she recounts events from what she thinks to be the start of his involvement with heroin, and we follow him through years of court appearances, fresh pledges, recovery, and occasional tranquil intervals. While Street's experiences are described in an emotionally muted manner, I enjoyed the straightforward, almost factual tone with which she told her narrative. It wasn't sentimental in the least.
Timothy Rucinski
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: The Captive
Bookshelf Size: 610
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: No One Will Hear You Scream by EJ Goldberg Phillips
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 28%

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

This isn't my kind of book. I don't care much for memoirs, and I especially don't care for memoirs about addition. However, from reading the sample, I could tell that this is a terrific, well-written book. Just because it's not my thing doesn't make it worthwhile to read, especially for those that have faced similar misfortune. Congrats to Ms. Street on her accomplishment.
Jane Ogwang
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-ogwang.html
Latest Review: Dr. Marsha and the Case of the Missing Marshmallows and Hotdogs by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jane Ogwang »

This book addresses a very sensitive topic quite expertly. Thank you for the wonderful review.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I was saddened to read that David is gone. It is ironic that the drug he needed for pain would cause him more pain in the end. I hope addicts and their support groups will be helped by this true story.
Kelvin Onyango 1
Favorite Book: The Arrow That Flies By Day
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kelvin Onyango 1 »

This is book review is quite fine as it describes the action David gone through in his years of lives and how he was very intelligent. I like the language used as it portrays issues well and good. Congrats to the reviewer
Brittni Quintana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittni-quintana.html
Latest Review: Bird in a Snare by N.L. Holmes

Post by Brittni Quintana »

This book sounds heartbreaking in the best way. Thank you for the review. I really want to read this now.
Oluwapelumi Rachael
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwapelumi-rachael.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Oluwapelumi Rachael »

It's quite sad that David became addicted at such a young age. Sadly this is the case for many others too. I applaud the author for writing this memoir enriched with experiences and lessons for people to learn from.
Penny Ann Criswell Johnson
Favorite Book: Totem
Currently Reading: Snatched up to heaven
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-penny-ann-criswell-johnson.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Penny Ann Criswell Johnson »

My heart goes out to Patricia. My life has been turned upside due to family members becoming addicted to alcohol and drugs. I commend the author and her son for sharing their most intimate feelings with us. Great review. Thank you for being honest.
Faatimah Noormahomed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faatimah-noormahomed.html
Latest Review: Karrana by Anne Skyvington
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Faatimah Noormahomed »

Thank you for your review! It was well written and very interesting to read. Substance abuse is something that is so widespread in today's times, and the reality of that makes me extremely sad. This book sounds really good, and I'm hoping to read it sometime in the future!
Ayomikun Babalola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomikun-babalola.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Ayomikun Babalola »

I love that the author shared everything and laid it all bare. Writing this book and adding her son's innermost thoughts must have been a hard decision for her.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”