Review of Spookie Stories

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Abi McCoy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abi-mccoy.html
Latest Review: The Scrolls of the Bonefairy Castle by David Spiegel

Review of Spookie Stories

Post by Abi McCoy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Spookie Stories" by Marjorie Tavoularis, MD.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Spookie Stories: Some True, Some Not by Marjorie Tavoularis is an anthology of twenty-two spooky stories. Most of these stories are only a few pages long. Many of them involve other worldly encounters and uncanny happenings that seem like coincidences – or are they? Each story has a little blurb at its beginning where the author explains where the idea for the story originated from. Some of the stories were relayed to the author by people that she knew while others are pure fiction.

In general, these stories were less spooky and more uncanny. They were often told in the first person and involved interactions or visitations from the dead. Other stories involved weird and seemingly unexplainable occurrences. A few were very creative, such as one that discussed familiar smells as evidence of spiritual visitations from someone’s family members.

I enjoyed these stories overall. The short explanation at the beginning of each story was insightful and it was interesting to see which stories were based in truth and which were based in fiction. Many of the stories involved realistic characters in realistic situations, which did help to add some depth to the stories. Many of these stories reminded me of tales we used to tell each other around a campfire to try and unsettle each other. However, I didn’t find any of the stories to be spooky or scary, which was a little disappointing.

I did feel a bit of a disconnect from the stories that were written in the first person. This was partially because the blurb at the beginning of the story would say, “This didn’t happen to me but did to someone I know,” and then the story was told in the first person. Personally, I think if they had been told in the third person it would have been easier to get lost in the story. There were only a few small errors in the work, so it seemed to have been well edited.

I’m rating Spookie Stories: Some True, Some Not by Marjorie Tavoularis a 3 out of 4 stars. This was a good read. I enjoyed the stories, but the writing style felt more conversational than I wanted. This made me feel a disconnect from the stories and made it difficult for me to fully immerse myself in the tales. There wasn’t anything too intense in this book so this would be a good read for teenagers and adults alike who enjoy supernatural encounters and uncanny events.

Spookie Stories
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Winnie Aluoch
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Winnie Aluoch »

This was a good read though I felt disconnected from the story ,good read for teenagers and adults.there were only few errors,it seemed to have been well edited
Adaeze Joan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adaeze-joan.html
Latest Review: Of Roses & Storms by Sara Omar

Post by Adaeze Joan »

This book seems okay for teenagers who enjoy scary stories. I too would love to read this book. Thanks for the review.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

This should be great for lovers of spooky stories. Thank you for your review.
Asiaa Szn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asiaa-szn.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Asiaa Szn »

This review has piqued my interest because I love spooky stories. Nice work

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”