Review of Redemption Is Never Satisfied

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Review of Redemption Is Never Satisfied

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Redemption Is Never Satisfied" by Courtney Henson.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Redemption Is Never Satisfied was conceptualized and written inside a prison cell. Courtney Henson, a Virginia inmate, has been incarcerated for 21 years for burglary, rape, and sodomy. Henson is a seasoned author with five published books under his belt. In this book, he chronicles his life in 15 chapters and 340 pages.

On this journey of finding his voice and liberation, Henson hopes to inspire the reader. In the book, he discusses injustice, race, politics, police brutality, and the effects of the pandemic in prisons. He also encourages the audience to contribute their skills and support the Black Lives Matter movement. He hopes to see a significant change in the justice system and the way citizens treat prisoners.

Henson’s odd interactions with his family, particularly his wife, were an interesting portion of the book. I liked his wife and found her to be a brave, forgiving, and compassionate woman as she stuck by her Henson’s side through thick and thin. Her strength and willingness to forgive and offer her husband a second chance are admirable. I am a firm believer in second chances. However, I believe that those who have done wrong or committed atrocities must show remorse, atone for their wrongdoings and commit to rehabilitation.

The aspect of the book that I disliked was how the author elicits sympathy, despite not taking full accountability. He still maintains that he does not fully understand his crime and subsequent apprehension, citing that he was under the influence of weed. Henson’s lack of accountability (in my eyes) and compassion for his victims left a bitter taste in my mouth. I believe the book would have been more compelling if he had sincerely admitted his crimes and asked for forgiveness from his victims.

It appears as though Redemption Is Never Satisfied was not professionally edited as I came across several grammar and formatting issues on the Kindle version of the book. Despite the flaws, this book provides a viewpoint on the justice system from an interesting perspective of an inmate. It is enlightening, and readers can learn a couple of valuable lessons. For these reasons, I rate the book 2 out of 4 stars.

I recommend this book to mature audiences who are open-minded and non-judgemental. Readers who are interested in a perpetrator’s viewpoint will find this book to be eye-opening. Potential readers must note that the book contains foul language and covers sensitive topics of sexual violence.

Redemption Is Never Satisfied
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

I find it amazing that a prison inmate wrote and had this book published from inside a cell. It is certainly a more productive use of time in prison that many other things.

I absolutely agree with you that people must show remorse for and understand their wrongdoings before they are forgiven.

This sounds like a compelling book.
Great review.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Alexander C Schmoock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-c-schmoock.html
Latest Review: Survived, evolved against all the odds by Ruth Mantile

Post by Alexander C Schmoock »

The book addressed really topical issues like race, injustice and police brutality. Activists will definitely find it interesting, and readers will draw inspiration from it. Great review.
Currently Reading:

zainherb wrote: 06 Dec 2021, 08:20 I find it amazing that a prison inmate wrote and had this book published from inside a cell. It is certainly a more productive use of time in prison that many other things.

I absolutely agree with you that people must show remorse for and understand their wrongdoings before they are forgiven.

This sounds like a compelling book.
Great review.
I appreciate your comment zainherb :tiphat:
Currently Reading:

JamesJaphet wrote: 06 Dec 2021, 23:00 The book addressed really topical issues like race, injustice and police brutality. Activists will definitely find it interesting, and readers will draw inspiration from it. Great review.
You are so spot on James! Thanks for leaving a comment

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”