Review of The Right to Nominate

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gloria Jane
Currently Reading: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gloria-edmund.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Review of The Right to Nominate

Post by Gloria Jane »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Right to Nominate" by Thomas E Peterson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Do citizens of the United States of America have power over their country’s political decisions or has this right been hijacked by the rise of political parties? The Right to Nominate by Thomas E Peterson tries to answer this question. The author does this by exploring the original constitution written by the founding fathers of the United States of America and comparing it with the current political scene. In this book, he points out that the Framers had correctly predicted the dangers of political parties when they wrote the original constitution. In subsequent chapters, the author uncovers the loopholes that allowed for the abuse of the democratic process and offers advice to readers on how to fight to restore the rights of the people.

The book was arranged into seven parts. Each part consists of a varying number of chapters that range from one to ten. It is arranged in a way that allows readers to take a break to digest each section before moving on to the next topic. The writing style was more argumentative and formal. As a reader who does not live in the United States, I was able to understand more about American politics through reading this book. I think the author communicated his points very clearly and used words that the average person can understand. It was also very informative, and the author comes across as being very knowledgeable on this topic. He references many quotes from the founding fathers and gives references to his points as necessary. In addition, the author also proposes solutions to the problems he noticed in the current system.

What I found refreshing about this book is that the author shares his views on politics from a central viewpoint. The other political books I have recently read tend to have a bias towards either left-wing or right-wing ideology. Instead, the author criticizes how both parties took advantage of their differences in beliefs to cause chaos and division among the people.

However, I would not say that the author is unbiased. He has a clear hatred towards the idea of political parties, which can be seen by his style of criticism and lack of mention of the positive aspects of having political parties. I think that if the author took some time to show both the benefits and drawbacks of political parties, it would allow readers to form a more well-rounded opinion.

Overall, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Despite the slight bias, I appreciate the thoroughness and knowledge I have gained from reading it. In my opinion, the formatting of the paragraphs and subheadings being unaligned was a bit distracting and could also be improved. I did not notice any errors that would take away from the reading experience. I would recommend this book to everyone who has an interest in political science and American history, especially to students and professionals in this field.

The Right to Nominate
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”