Review of How to be Italian

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Review of How to be Italian

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "How to be Italian" by Maria Pasquale.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Italy is one of the most attractive tourist centers in the world. Most people are familiar with Italian customs and most things that symbolize Italy. However, the question is how much the global perception of Italy coincides with reality. How to Be Italian: Eat, Drink, Dress, Travel and Love La Dolce Vita by Maria Pasquale is a book in which the author, who is Italian, describes the charms of life in Italy.

The book is divided into chapters, with the author discussing a different aspect of life in Italy in each chapter. Maria describes the Italian way of thinking, Italian cuisine, Italian language, and specific way of communicating. She also describes Italian fashion, the ways they spend their free time, and how they travel. At the end of each chapter is a list of the essential information that the reader should remember from that chapter. The book is full of photographs depicting everyday life in Italy. In addition, at the end of the book, Maria included a list of Italian holidays, a glossary with the words and terms mentioned in the text, and a playlist with her favorite Italian songs.

I enjoyed reading this book immensely. I always wanted to visit Italy, so this book came in very handy. The author provides essential information on every aspect of life in Italy. It is enjoyable to learn about Italy and Italian customs from a person who is Italian. Although she was born in Australia and lived part of her life in Australia, the author moved to Rome and now lives in the Eternal City. I admire her patriotism and love for the homeland. I like how she constantly praises Italy, its customs and people, and how she is aware that Italy is not perfect, but she loves it with all its flaws. It was fascinating to read about the contrasts between the north and south of Italy. It seems like these are two different countries and not two parts of Italy. Also, I particularly enjoyed the parts where food and drink were discussed. At those moments, I had a desire to eat a good Neapolitan pizza and drink a limoncello. Additionally, since I have a hardcover book, I would like to point out that it is incredibly high quality, the paper is thick, and the colors are very vibrant.

I fully enjoyed every part of this book and have nothing negative to comment on. I also did not encounter any grammatical or typographical errors, and I can assume that the book is exceptionally well edited.

I am happy to give this book a well-deserved 4 out of 4 stars. I have no reason to give it a lower rating. I would recommend it to anyone planning to visit Italy or wanting to learn something new about it from the perspective of a native Italian.

How to be Italian
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Sarah Sonbol
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

This book looks interesting. It is always fascinating to learn about other cultures, and Italy in particular is one of the most interesting countries.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
Katarina Radovcic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katarina-radovcic.html
Latest Review: Scorn of Secrets by B. Truly

Post by Katarina Radovcic »

First of, this cover is beautiful! I need to get this book!
On the other note, since I've been fascinated by italian language and culture for as long as I can remember and plan on moving to Italy in the future, I think this will be a very suitable read for me. :D
Thank you for this wonderful review! :)
Review Writer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideonwrites-review.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Review Writer »

Wow! It's a very good thing that the book came in handy for you. I'll definitely like to know about the culture of Italians. Let me go and add it to my shelf. And I appreciate your recommendation.
Signature of Grace.
Shilisia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shilisia.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Shilisia »

I love how the author is resourceful. Even for individuals who want to live in Italy, this book seems to have the information needed. Thanks for a great review.
Balebi Alexis
Favorite Book: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 135

Post by Balebi Alexis »

After I end reviewing the book how to be an italian by maria pasquale. I say that an author describes and tell the life of italian her own country.
David Iba
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by David Iba »

This is interesting for knowing italian culture and tradition, their language the way the speak, the way the dress and the way the spend time with others,
I will love to visit that country.
kittykat6132
Currently Reading: TBD August 2022 Book of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kittykat6132.html
Latest Review: The Senator's Suitcase by Mitch Engel

Post by kittykat6132 »

I have always wanted to visit Italy some day. This book seems like just the right start of that journey for me. I can't wait to get ahold of this book.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

This book sounds interesting and quite delightful!
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”