Review of The Forgotten Few

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Zee_Zee
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zee-zee.html
Latest Review: Taking Charge: Vol. 2 More Stories on Aging Boldly by Herb Weiss

Review of The Forgotten Few

Post by Zee_Zee »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Forgotten Few" by Junie Pritchard.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I once heard the term "bipolar disorder" but didn't bother to understand what it meant entirely. Reading about it from someone who has suffered from it has shed light on it for me.

In her book, The Forgotten Few, Junie Pritchard bares it all concerning what life as a person with bipolar disorder is all about. She gives us a peek into her life before her diagnosis. She then centers heavily on her experiences with the illness. From her experiences and the experiences of other patients, she paints a world of which many people are unaware. She also highlights the effects of her condition on her family, co-workers, and several others in her life.

I was appalled at the statistics the author gave that 1 out of 3 people have bipolar disorder. It was a great thing she wrote this book to help more people be aware of it and know how it could be managed. Though it looked like she may have gotten some of it from her mother, who had schizophrenia, she believed it was triggered mainly by the stress she went through as events took a downturn in her life. Reading about that period in her life, I could only imagine what it must have been like for her. She highlighted her symptoms and how she often felt, which I'd believe would be a good guide for those experiencing the same. It would also help those close to them understand their situation and get them treatment as early as possible. Sadly, there's no cure yet, but the patient can be better with medication and supervision. If Junie got well enough to write this book, then no person with bipolar disorder should be written off; they could still live everyday lives as much as they could handle at a time.

I love the author's boldness in putting her experience into writing. She didn't only talk about herself, but she also talked about how she was treated and spelled out those who did her wrong. Writing this book must have been very therapeutic for her. She pointed out that, on several occasions, no one bothered to listen to her complaints. So, her writing had become her voice. This book would bring some good changes to the world of persons with bipolar disorder.

However, the book was rife with lots of errors. The author would need to get an excellent editor to brush it up and eliminate those errors. She would also need to consider restructuring the book. Some of the content was repeated several times; I wondered whether I had somehow mistakenly gone back to previous pages. There was some sort of going back and forth about it; it felt like the content was jumbled up. There were also many expletives. I'd reckon it was the author's way of pouring out all she had bottled up.

The book is an eye-opener to a problem that plagues society but is not adequately taken care of. I admire the huge step the author has taken, and I hope it gives her what she seeks. But due to the numerous errors, my rating is 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to persons with bipolar disorder, their caregivers, and those in authority over them. I also recommend it to those who may be researching the illness.

The Forgotten Few
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Niens Now
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-niens-now.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Niens Now »

I can believe these statistics because I know a lot of people with Bipolar. Thanks for an excellent review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
John Karanja 1
Favorite Book: The Cadence of Excellence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-karanja-1.html
Latest Review: Running the Sahara by Marcel Nickler

Post by John Karanja 1 »

Bipolar disorder is real, and if it can be noticed early enough and proper help given to the affected, they may start experiencing the newness of life.
Thanks for the good review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”