Review of Flunking first grade and shooting trout

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Oyedeji Okikioluwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 964
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orizon.html
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi

Review of Flunking first grade and shooting trout

Post by Oyedeji Okikioluwa »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Flunking first grade and shooting trout" by Lester D. Flake.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Whatever you do, do not act your age. Those were the final words of the author in this book. Flunking First Grade and Shooting Trout is a 215-page autobiography by Lester D. Flake. It discussed the themes of childhood, adolescence, and adulthood of the author.

The book was partitioned into six parts. Part one and two talked about the author's early life with his family. They had moved to Oregon, where he took part in lots of hunting and fishing. In part three, they moved to Bend and Coos Bay in part four. This shows the author's experience in high school as a student at Marshfield High School. Although he was not a sports person, he had a pretty good and decent social life. We were told of his years in Brigham Young University, from a freshman to a graduating student in part five. And in part six, the author told us how he was able to acquire a Master of Science degree and get married. Get a copy of this book to read up on Lester Flake's story.

The book was further divided into chapters which made reading a lot easier. The narration was concise, and the author did well not to trail off. Instead, he became thoughtful by adding other stories as appendices at the end of the book, and these stories were fun to read. The book also contained pictures and maps, which were very effective. They authenticated the author's story, added color to the book, and made it more fun to read.

This book could be best described as a youthful memoir. The author talked about his early years, growing up under a father that loved smoking and drinking while trying hard not to be influenced. This could be owed to the fact that he was a believer. Another function of this book was that it mirrored life in the 1950s. The book contained popular songs that the author enjoyed as a teenager and other social behaviors of youth at that time.

Lester D. Flake did not fail to appreciate people that made a mark in his life and helped him even in the littlest way. People such as Dr. Clive Jorgensen recognized his potentials and encouraged him to continue, and Dale, a close friend of his. His encounter with the owl was almost funny. He was prepared to risk his life out of curiosity.

I noticed that the author mentioned his father in his narration, which makes me curious about his relationship with his mother. However, these are personal views and are not enough to deduct a star from this book's deserved ratings. It was also professionally edited, as I found minor errors in the book.

Therefore, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The book was very educative. I recommend this book to lovers of inspirational novels and real-life stories. It would make a good read.

Flunking first grade and shooting trout
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishi-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Rishi_reviews »

The plot of the book seems quite interesting to me and the storytelling style of the author is pretty nice as well. I'll definitely try to give this one a try. Thanks for the amazing review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an interesting autobiography about a man who started from nothing to achieve a lot. The author also recognizes the importance of people who influenced his life, for example recognizing his talents. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

I like to read memoirs, and this seems interesting especially since this is set in the 1950s when Lester was growing up. Thanks for your review.
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

While I am not much into autobiographies, I love the music from the 50ies and am intrigued by which songs would be mentioned in the book. It is a nice period in time, not too long ago but so different compared to nowadays.
Clare Jose
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clare-jose.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Clare Jose »

I do enjoy reading memoirs and autobiographies, so I think this is a good one for me. Hope I get to read it someday.
Thank you for your review!
Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile."
Pandora10
Favorite Book: Remembering Christmas
Currently Reading: The Road to Management
Bookshelf Size: 116

Post by Pandora10 »

This memoir from the author's childhood, which he began writing for his children, grand-children and descendants, has a nicely written and humorous narrative. It seems like he had a good childhood, even though during the war years it was difficult. It should be a good read for those that enjoy memoirs, particularly a youthful one. Thanks for the good review on this book.
Vidisha Alwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vidisha-alwani.html
Latest Review: Cruise Ship Heist by Stuart St Paul

Post by Vidisha Alwani »

Seems to be an autobiographical book, but still interesting enough. While the author emphasizes on "never act your age", he shows great maturity even during his early youth by not being influenced by the habits of his father
Although I am not too much into autobiographies, I would definitely like to check this one out.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

This sounds like a good book. I enjoy books from the 1950s and 1960s because I was around then too! I like reminiscing about my younger years and bringing back memories of old songs and how we lived back then without technology! Thanks for the great review!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Roy Nick
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Post by Roy Nick »

Sounds engaging, but I'll have to pass on this one. I'm not interested in memoirs at the moment. Nice writing, anyway.
Akindolapo J
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Akindolapo J »

:D Most books about autobiography usually sound boring and far from interesting. But from the review, the way the author wrote the book makes the autobiography a very intriguing one to read. For memoirs lovers, this will be very interesting.
Thanks for the great review
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Bertha Jackson »

Memoirs from the past and a simpler time bring back fond memories. Many young people would have a hard time growing up without technology, but I remember it has being fun, and we were creative in finding ways to pass time. Thank you for your review.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

I like the fact that the author succeeded despite the bad example set by his father. Thank you for a great review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Ferdinand_Otieno
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an interesting, heart warming and thought-provoking non-fiction autobiography highlighting the author's life, challenges, and growth. The book is temporarily discounted on Amazon Kindle and has a well-written OnlineBookClub review. Congrats on the BOTD selection.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

It seems like a great story about the author's humble beginnings and constant moving around. He manages to preserve and have great childhood memories. Kudos for achieving great education too. Great job with the review.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”