Review of The God Food Diet

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
diana lowery
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 24
Currently Reading: Fortune and Glory
Bookshelf Size: 216
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The God Food Diet by Miami Mike
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review of The God Food Diet

Post by diana lowery »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The God Food Diet" by Miami Mike.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Although I am not a beer drinker, the subtitle of this diet book caught my attention. The food pyramid on the cover with three groups labeled burgers, beer, and bread is unique. Since I am always on the lookout for ways to lose weight effortlessly, I wanted to learn more. The title, The God Food Diet, does have a spiritual significance, but it also is an acronym. The G is for grass-fed beef and bison. The O is for organic fruits and vegetables. The D is for raw dairy products. Even before I read the book, I understood that decreasing my weight on this plan was going to involve an increase in my food budget. Eating healthy costs more.

Miami Mike is the author of this entertaining book. He blends humor with scientific research. His personal anecdotes make the read enjoyable. He gives ample recommendations and advice. I like that he uses biblical verses to demonstrate his points. He occasionally incorporates song lyrics as well. The combination of "Vanity of Vanities" from Ecclesiastes and "You're So Vain" by Carly Simon is one example where he describes his weight-loss journey. This coupling of scripture and song was accompanied by before and after pictures of the author with the titles "vanity lost" and "vanity found."

One thing that I did not like was the abundance of product endorsements in the book. Whole Foods Grocery Store was mentioned often. Books by other authors on exercise and positive thinking were advertised along with links to purchase them. The author's own website was prominently touted as a resource. When I attempted to click on the link, a red warning appeared indicating that it was not a safe site.

Sometimes when reading a book, it is necessary to read between the lines. In this case, I literally had to read between, over, and under the lines. The formatting was so distorted in the copy that I received that I was tempted to reject the book. The fact that I persevered to the end is a good testimony to the writing skills of the author. Mike Schuler, the actual name of the author, has a bachelor's degree in English literature, and from what I could decipher amidst the strikethroughs, there were no errors other than the formatting ones.

Rating this book is difficult. Had I read it in a paperback version, I might have given it four stars. My rating for the Kindle version that I read is 1 out of 4 stars. In its current state, I would not recommend this book to anyone. With proper formatting, I think it would be a good read for individuals who are looking for a way to improve their health and who have the funds necessary to follow this wholesome, but pricey, diet plan.

The God Food Diet
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Jona00baka
2021 Reading Goal: 1000
Favorite Book: How To Be Successful
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jona00baka.html
Latest Review: Chase Found Grit by Jeanne Evelyn

Post by Jona00baka »

Very unfortunate to have such experience with the book by Mike. I hope this review will assist him in polishing up his work to attract more readers. Thanks for the informative review.
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishi-reviews.html
Latest Review: Reflections of an Anxious African American Dad by Eric L. Heard

Post by Rishi_reviews »

The content of the books seems quite interesting but after reading the review I think the author will put some effort to get rid of the flaws. Thanks for the honest work.
Harsh Soni 3
Favorite Book: How To Be Successful
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harsh-soni-3.html
Latest Review: Wellness Toolbox by Don Roberts

Post by Harsh Soni 3 »

The cover of the book caught me, but I think the author should put some more effort in the Kindle copy of the book. Thanks for the honest review.
Shilisia
2021 Reading Goal: 25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shilisia.html
Latest Review: American River: Tributaries by Mallory M. O'Connor

Post by Shilisia »

I really love how you were not entirely negative about the book. Great review.
Miracle Chidera 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miracle-chidera-1.html
Latest Review: Bar Maid by Daniel Roberts

Post by Miracle Chidera 1 »

Thanks for the honest review. I don't think these errors would be blatant in an epub format.
Fareed Regal
2021 Reading Goal: 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fareed-regal.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Fareed Regal »

It is such a pity about the formatting as it seems like a fun read with good advice for losing weight and staying healthy. Thank you for a very honest review!
Johnny John

Post by Johnny John »

The content of the books seems quite interesting but after reading the review I think the author will put some effort to get rid of the flaws. Thanks for the honest work.
Thank you
Odanye Kayode
2021 Reading Goal: 21
Currently Reading: New City Chronicles - Book II - The Eye of the Storm

Post by Odanye Kayode »

The title of the book got my attention anyway,untill O go through all the post that is when I found out that it s all about diet GOD GOOD ORGANIC DIET very interesting, thanks

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”