Official Review: Thera and the Exodus by Riaan Booysen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Re: Official Review:Thera and the Exodus by Riaan Booysen

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

That is a well-thought through review. I do fear that sometimes people try to hard to explain away miracles, but am not opposed to "natural" explanations when they are feasible. At any rate, it's too bad the writing style is dry. I may give this a read just the same, as the topic is intriguing.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
truebookaddict
Favorite Book: The Historian
Currently Reading: Children of the Dark
Bookshelf Size: 3838
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-truebookaddict.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by truebookaddict »

As a history major, I know that I will enjoy this book. I don't believe the bible is fact so it will be interesting to read about a possible historical explanation for where the bible legend of Exodus might have originated. Excellent review! I really liked the specifics you outlined.
“Even if she be not harmed, her heart may fail her in so much and so many horrors; and hereafter she may suffer--both in waking, from her nerves, and in sleep, from her dreams.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Wow! Thanks for this very thorough review, I enjoyed reading it! The book sounds very interesting, but I would have to read it just a little at a time due to the dry, academic nature. Still, I admire the author for conducting so much research and presenting it so thoroughly.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Wow. Really great review. You really got into the meat of this book. I admit that while I love reading about real historical events, it is often the case that the going is slow and dryyyyyy. I quite enjoyed your review and through the clips you shared, and your own thoughts, it did pique my curiosity. I've always loved the Bible stories about Moses and the plight of the Isreaites. So I'm going to give it a try. Thank you.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney
ct-95
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125

Post by ct-95 »

I enjoy historical fiction but eventually have difficulty sorting out fiction from fact. This topic, though reviewed as dry reading may move me from historical fiction to history given how unique and well researched it seems.
babyslim1982
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by babyslim1982 »

About to start reading it. Looks great
chocomeiske
Favorite Author: Ben Galley
Currently Reading: The Prey
Bookshelf Size: 4152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chocomeiske.html
Latest Review: "The Last Bucelarii (Book 1): Blade of the Destroyer" by Andy Peloquin
fav_author_id: 11401

Post by chocomeiske »

Thanks for your review. I read a sample of this and although Im interested in history, this one is not light reading and would probably appeal more to those already familiar with the subject. Even so, I find the subject matter quite interesting and would probably read a layman's version of this of that was to happen ?
Latest Review: "The Last Bucelarii (Book 1): Blade of the Destroyer" by Andy Peloquin
purplepeepleeater
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purplepeepleeater.html

Post by purplepeepleeater »

I am a fan of history myself, but this book from your review seems like it might be better suited for college coursework. I plan on reading this because it is history and I might change my mind. Good review, thank you!!!
fallenechoes
Currently Reading: Doomed Soul
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by fallenechoes »

Good review. It's too bad the author couldn't have translated his extensive knowledge of the subject into a book that was more exciting for the lay person. With that being said I'll still probably attempt to read my copy in full as I enjoy reading about history.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Very descriptive review! This sounds like a very informative and well researched read. Even though, I am not a fan of nonfiction text that reads more like academic textbooks, I am fascinated by the subject matter. I might have to give this one a try!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
MandalynnJDG
Currently Reading: Spirituality for REAL
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandalynnjdg.html
Latest Review: White Night by J.J. Holt

Post by MandalynnJDG »

Thank you for the review. I don't know much about ancient history, and it seems this could shed a little light on the subject. Unfortunately, since I am not a scholar I may not be into this book since you reviewed it as a dry read. It is nice to know what to expect when getting into a book.
thesnowleopard
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... amilias</a>
Currently Reading: The Return of Sherlock Holmes
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thesnowleopard.html

Post by thesnowleopard »

I downloaded it because of the positive review and the subject matter (I'm interested in biblical exegesis, particularly of the earlier stories, as well as the eruption of Thera). While I understand what the reviewer is saying about the writing style, it seemed like typical academic writing to me. Academic books just have to be written that way or they get no respect.

I'm not sure I agree with the author's thesis, but I liked how he acknowledged the current prevailing thought in the field (that the Exodus may not even have happened) and then went on to explain his methodology in disagreement. It showed that he did his homework. As long as you've got your logic and sources straight so that I can follow them, I'm happy to follow you down a new rabbit hole to see where it leads.
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Post by Janetleighgreen »

Thanks for the review. I may check it out based on your review. Thanks again.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Very thorough review. I like the inclusion of the text samples :)
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
pharmnut3848
Favorite Author: Laurell K. Hamilton
Currently Reading: Miami Iced
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE
fav_author_id: 3139

Post by pharmnut3848 »

The book sounds like an interesting story. Thanks for sharing your review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”