Review of Age of Freedom

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Theresam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 228
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresam.html
Latest Review: You The Real State Of Life by Austin Bergman

Review of Age of Freedom

Post by Theresam »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Age of Freedom" by Janet A. Gregory & Janice Hulse.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Age of Freedom by Janet A. Gregory and Janice Hulse takes a fascinating look at professional women. The authors conducted a survey of professional women between the ages of forty and eighty. The goal was to have a better understanding of women and their careers. Women were asked to identify themselves as working full-time, working but not full-time, or retired. Once the respondents were split into these categories, the remainder of the survey questions were tailored toward that category. After Covid-19 changed the way women work, the authors sent a supplemental survey to the respondents to find out how they were impacted by the pandemic. Work-from-home, loss of employment, and loss of business travel due to pandemic restrictions were included in the responses.

When the authors reported their findings in this book, they included a summary of the survey results and direct quotes from respondents. In addition to the survey analysis, the authors included a chapter on how to decide what to do after retirement. Because of the wealth of opportunities for women after they retire, the authors encourage readers to reinvent themselves. They recommend using the skills developed during professional careers to create the next chapter. This involves examining core values, fulfillment and creating a plan for reaching a new goal. Since every woman is different, the authors provide numerous examples of topics readers can consider for their next chapter.

I found this to be a very inspiring and motivating book. In every chapter, the authors consistently encourage readers to examine their careers and goals. They share examples from their own lives and careers very openly. The direct quotes from the survey respondents are interesting and informative. It is enlightening to read how individuals were impacted differently by the pandemic. It is helpful for professional women to read these responses because they include advice and recommendations based on experience. Readers can learn from the examples provided.

What I liked most about the book was the advice provided to professional women in all stages of their careers. Even if a woman is not at retirement age, there are survey responses about what these women would have done differently during their careers. This is helpful to women who are just beginning their professional lives. Worksheets and resources are included in the Appendix. This is helpful for readers who would like to research further. There was nothing I disliked about this book.

I recommend this book to professional women at any stage of their careers. Even if a woman is looking for work, the worksheets and resources would be helpful in determining the type of career she would find fulfilling. There were more than ten errors in this book, so I don’t believe it was professionally edited. For that reason, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. With additional editing, I believe it would be worthy of a perfect score.

Age of Freedom
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishi-reviews.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Rishi_reviews »

The theme of the book seems quite interesting. I haven't heard anything like this before and I'm really curious to know about all the women and their life as a working class. Thanks for the review.
T T 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-t-2.html
Latest Review: 422: by Danny Range

Post by T T 2 »

I love the fact the author took into account the struggles women have to do, balancing work and life. Would like to read more about it. Thank you for a well-written review.
Latest Review: 422: by Danny Range
Apple 7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apple-7.html
Latest Review: The Right to Nominate by Thomas E Peterson

Post by Apple 7 »

In the Era of the pandemic , hope still avails itself to those who reinvent themselves, very nice review..

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”