Review of Caryl’s Closet

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Caryl’s Closet by June Wood Agamah, MPH

Review of Caryl’s Closet

Post by shravsi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Caryl’s Closet" by June Wood Agamah, MPH.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Immigration provides a chance to survive. It offers a shot at opportunity, and it paves a path for fulfilling dreams. That’s why immigration is the last beacon of hope for so many people. June Caryl Wood Agamah was no different. When she and her family got the coveted American citizenship, Caryl felt that she finally had a chance to succeed in life. Caryl’s path to achieving citizenship was filled with a lot of difficulties, but achieving the American dream proved to be even more difficult for her. However, she achieved her American dream. But like most immigrants, Caryl became so immersed in securing her and her family’s future that she forgot that she had locked up her past.

When Caryl’s daughter, Aseye, found some old journals of her mother, she was shocked to learn that she and her sisters had grown up without knowing the incredible journey of her mother. Caryl’s journey from depending on a church group’s help to make rent to establishing a mission hospital in rural Ghana was inspirational. Aseye insisted that Caryl should share her incredible story with everyone. Caryl’s Closet by June Wood Agamah showcases the story of a young Guyanese immigrant who not only achieved her American dream but received awards for her humanitarian works.

Caryl’s Closet is a remarkable memoir in many ways. First, readers will learn about the history, culture, and lifestyle of the Guyanese people. Then, we will read about the first-hand account of racial discrimination that was present in the 1980s and 1990s America. We also get to see the pros and cons of the immigration system. Readers will see how faith plays an important part in a person’s life. We will see the struggles of immigrant parents who work hard to secure their children’s futures. We also get to see American culture from an outsider’s perspective.

My most favorite part of this book was learning about the history of Buxton-Friendship village. Caryl tells the story of how her slave ancestors pooled their money to buy the land after the abolition of slavery. That story was heartbreaking and awe-inspiring to read. But even this incredible book has some troubles. The chronology could have been managed better. The story narration moved back and forth a lot. And, I found more than ten grammatical and spelling errors.

The errors were not obvious. Nevertheless, another round of professional editing will help the book immensely. Considering all these above points, I will rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

This book’s relevance in this day and age when everyone is discussing racial discrimination and cultural appropriation cannot be stressed enough. Themes like hope, overcoming adversity, coming of age, faith, hard work, accepting change, compassion, and determination are the main essences of this book. Caryl’s faith in God is a crucial element of this book; if you are averse to books that contain religious content, then avoid this. I will recommend this book to readers who enjoy memoirs; even teenagers can read this book as there is no profanity or age-inappropriate content. Happy reading.

Caryl’s Closet
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishi-reviews.html
Latest Review: Reflections of an Anxious African American Dad by Eric L. Heard

Post by Rishi_reviews »

This seems like a really inspirational story. Caryl's been through alot in her life and fought everything bravely. Thanks for the amazing review.
GideonWrites Review
2021 Reading Goal: 24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideonwrites-review.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by GideonWrites Review »

I'm a usual fan of memoir. From the various features of this book, it seems to promise a rich reding experience. Thanks for your recommendation.
Signature of Grace.
John Karanja 1
Favorite Book: The Cadence of Excellence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-karanja-1.html
Latest Review: Running the Sahara by Marcel Nickler

Post by John Karanja 1 »

What June Caryl highlights is part of the current situation in America to the immigrants.
Thanks for the good review.
Harsh Soni 3
Favorite Book: How To Be Successful
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harsh-soni-3.html
Latest Review: Wellness Toolbox by Don Roberts

Post by Harsh Soni 3 »

I like the inclusion of the lifestyle of the Guyanese people. I will definitely consider this book for reading. Thanks for the review.
Shilisia
2021 Reading Goal: 25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shilisia.html
Latest Review: American River: Tributaries by Mallory M. O'Connor

Post by Shilisia »

This memoir sure has a lot to learn. And I really enjoy that the aspect of faith included here, such a great way to give hope. Great review.
meiafidaa_7
Currently Reading: Atomic Habits
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meiafidaa-7.html
Latest Review: Running the Sahara by Marcel Nickler

Post by meiafidaa_7 »

I can relate to her 😍 I like the storyline 😍 seems inspiring and interesting. Thank you for the review. I hope I can read it soon
Niens Now
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-niens-now.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Niens Now »

Although I am no fan of religion, the storyline sounds inspirational. Thanks for a great review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Apple 7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apple-7.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Apple 7 »

Immigrants, challenges faced, search for achieving ones destiny and challenges encountered while doing so.....very detailed and concise review
shravsi
Favorite Book:

Post by shravsi »

Rishi_reviews wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 14:35 This seems like a really inspirational story. Caryl's been through alot in her life and fought everything bravely. Thanks for the amazing review.
Her story is inspirational. Thanks for checking out my review :tiphat:
shravsi
Favorite Book:

Post by shravsi »

GideonWrites Review wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 15:14 I'm a usual fan of memoir. From the various features of this book, it seems to promise a rich reding experience. Thanks for your recommendation.
If you love memoirs, you will definitely enjoy this book :tiphat:
shravsi
Favorite Book:

Post by shravsi »

John Karanja 1 wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 07:11 What June Caryl highlights is part of the current situation in America to the immigrants.
Thanks for the good review.
Thanks for stopping by :tiphat:
shravsi
Favorite Book:

Post by shravsi »

Harsh Soni 3 wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 07:12 I like the inclusion of the lifestyle of the Guyanese people. I will definitely consider this book for reading. Thanks for the review.
Thanks for reading my review :tiphat:
shravsi
Favorite Book:

Post by shravsi »

Shilisia wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 08:59 This memoir sure has a lot to learn. And I really enjoy that the aspect of faith included here, such a great way to give hope. Great review.
Thank you :tiphat:
shravsi
Favorite Book:

Post by shravsi »

meiafidaa_7 wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 15:26 I can relate to her 😍 I like the storyline 😍 seems inspiring and interesting. Thank you for the review. I hope I can read it soon
Let me know if you read this book. Thank you :tiphat:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”