Review of The Prepper's Guide to Surviving Pandemics, Bioterrorism, and Infectious Disease

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: The Tale of Tikky, the Quail
Bookshelf Size: 672
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: The Freedom Building by Martin Kendall
fav_author_id: 165843

Review of The Prepper's Guide to Surviving Pandemics, Bioterrorism, and Infectious Disease

Post by ciecheesemeister »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Prepper's Guide to Surviving Pandemics, Bioterrorism, and Infectious Disease" by William W. Forgey, M.D..]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Do you have an insatiable curiosity about disease-causing organisms? Do you enjoy understanding how pandemics work? Are you curious about the science behind bioterrorism? Would you like to learn how to increase your chances of surviving a pandemic or bioterrorist attack? Then The Prepper’s Guide to Surviving Pandemics, Bioterrorism, and Infectious Disease is the book for you.

Written by Dr. William W. Forgey, author of The Prepper’s Medical Handbook, this concisely researched book explains complex medical concepts in a way that laypersons can understand. The information on COVID-19 alone is worth the cost of the book. Dr. Forgey discusses the mechanisms that caused the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic as well as concepts such as how herd immunity works and how the different types of tests for the virus work.

I appreciate the fact that Dr. Forgey does not politicize the material included in this book. It is essential that such information be presented in a neutral fashion so that readers across the political spectrum and of any belief system will be willing to learn from it.

Dr. Forgey explains how the decline in herd immunity allows diseases to spread without singling out adherents of given belief systems or political parties. By explaining viral mutations and the way the COVID-19 vaccine works, he also makes clear that it is necessary to continue taking precautions even if one is vaccinated.

I do not have any criticism for the book. It was clearly professionally edited. I found no errors in the text. The writing style is intelligent, detailed, and informative without becoming bogged down in medicalese.
I found the book a relatively quick read despite the amount of information that it contained. However, the fact that I do have a medical background may have contributed to my ability to easily understand the material presented.

Readers do not need to have a medical or scientific background to appreciate this book. It is perfect for anyone who is curious about biological threats, whether naturally occurring or human-caused.

This book’s perfect audience includes people like me, who used to look through my mother’s nursing textbooks as a child to learn about various horrific diseases, many of which are, thankfully, controlled in modern society. Although readers do not require a medical or scientific background to appreciate the material contained in this book, it will not appeal to those readers who are uninterested in medicine and science.

With overwhelming praise and no criticism, I am pleased to give The Prepper’s Guide to Surviving Pandemics, Bioterrorism, and Infectious Disease four out of four stars.

The Prepper's Guide to Surviving Pandemics, Bioterrorism, and Infectious Disease
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
GideonWrites Review
2021 Reading Goal: 24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideonwrites-review.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by GideonWrites Review »

As resourceful and somehow technical the book's information seem, I so much appreciate the fact that it's easy to understand for even a layman. Thanks for the review.
Signature of Grace.
JamesJaphet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesjaphet.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by JamesJaphet »

A book about learning to survive a pandemic is one the world needs at this very moment. Well done on a great review.
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishi-reviews.html
Latest Review: Reflections of an Anxious African American Dad by Eric L. Heard

Post by Rishi_reviews »

I heard much appreciation for the medical handbook written by the author and I expect not less from this one as well. Thanks for the review.
meiafidaa_7
Currently Reading: Atomic Habits
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meiafidaa-7.html
Latest Review: Running the Sahara by Marcel Nickler

Post by meiafidaa_7 »

That's in my field of interest. I would like to know. Thank you for the review. Although that I've read some complaints regarding his other book
Bigwig1973
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: Wonks by William Reese Hamilton

Post by Bigwig1973 »

The title of this book is so scary, I had to read your review! I like that I'd be able to understand the book with no intensive medical background, and I love the questions in your opening paragraph! Now the theme song for the television show "Monk" is playing in my head! Nice review!
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”