Review of Lion Shaped Mountain

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Faithy_Star
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithy-star.html
Latest Review: Lion Shaped Mountain by Andrew R. Halloran

Review of Lion Shaped Mountain

Post by Faithy_Star »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lion Shaped Mountain" by Andrew R. Halloran.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Primatologist Andrew R. Halloran is the writer of the fable titled Lion Shaped Mountain. This book is majorly about chimpanzees as well as other creatures, which according to the author and in reality, are prominent in Africa. Chimpanzees and these other creatures weren't written about in isolation. Human beings are also major characters in this book. Precisely, this fable is about the relationship between humans, chimpanzees, and other creatures, as well as the role they play in each other's life, survival, and existence.

Halloran successfully fulfilled his promise of leading us into a full-blown and genuine description of chimpanzees. He did this by narrating stories coined around characters that include a lone chimpanzee, two communities of chimpanzees—Matamba and Mabureh, and villagers, including farmers and hunters. As farmers are enthusiastic about planting crops and fruits for the survival of their family and community at large, chimpanzees also source fruits for their survival. Again, hunters are keen on nailing animals for food or profit purposes. These interests appear to be intertwined and conflicting. Will they step on each other's toes for survival's sake? Read this book to follow the writer on this journey.

I loved that this book incorporates a historical perspective of these chimpanzees and other creatures like termites. As I gleaned from the former part of the book, a core concern of the author was to erase the misconceptions and half-truths about the behaviors of chimpanzees. He succeeded in doing this through chimpanzees like Caseby, Pip, Mrs. Jones, Richard, and Magwitch, just to mention a few.

My favourite part of this book is the manner the author depicted the behaviors of these chimpanzees. It was so real that I connected to them in the manner I did to some of the human characters. An encounter of an elderly woman with some chimps was borderline scary yet funny. Also, I felt a bit torn and heartbroken with certain occurrences in the lives of these chimpanzees.

As much as I was unusually slower in reading this book because I felt there was a lot of information to consume in a few pages, the book was a reasonably high-end one for me. However, I noticed some form of repetitions, especially with regards to a character, Caseby. When he was initially introduced, certain qualities of his were made known to the reader. However, most of the time he was mentioned subsequently, I found descriptions similar to the ones previously mentioned. Furthermore, I discovered that I couldn't ignore the presence of errors, as there were a ton of them. Consequently, I am inclined to rate Lion Shaped Mountain three out of four stars.

Lovers of fables or people interested in reading one will surely appreciate this book. As a result, I boldly recommend it to them.

Lion Shaped Mountain
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
GideonWrites Review
2021 Reading Goal: 24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideonwrites-review.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by GideonWrites Review »

I really love fables. It thrills as the book conflict between human (hunters) and the animals. Thanks for this review
Signature of Grace.
Deprise Evans
Favorite Author: Francine Rivers
Currently Reading: Crazy Love
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deprise-evans.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6456

Post by Deprise Evans »

I love that while the story is a fable, it also incorporates historical as well. Thanks for your review!
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishi-reviews.html
Latest Review: Reflections of an Anxious African American Dad by Eric L. Heard

Post by Rishi_reviews »

I haven't read a fable before and this seems like a good start. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”