Review of The Corporate Gardener

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Review of The Corporate Gardener

Post by Okafor Prosper »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Corporate Gardener" by Paul allman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dealing with changes in your work environment as a manager can be confusing and difficult, especially when you are just undertaking a managerial position for the first time. Do not worry. Paul Allman, a seasoned "employee skill development consultant," has got you covered through the wealth of information presented in his book, The Corporate Gardener. By the end of this guide, readers will be exposed to dealing with the inevitable challenges that come with managing staff, working effectively even without support from top management, understanding the stages of change and reinventing organizations, and developing the necessary interpersonal and coaching skills required to get the best out of their staff and help them develop, among others.

The Corporate Gardener by Paul Allman is quite a unique read not just because of the knowledge it promises to impart but also because of the brilliant metaphor employed throughout the book in helping readers assimilate easier. The author expertly applies the principles of nature in the form of gardening and relates these principles to effectively managing a team and the challenges of corporate life. The book was presented in the form of a story that follows the inexperienced Nicolas "Nick" Avtid, who was just brought on board as a manager and was experiencing everything that could go wrong with managing employees. Just in the nick of time, he would have an encounter with Doctrina Hortensis, a retired manager who opened his eyes to how similar gardening was to managing people. This encounter would change his life forever.

I'm sure, just like I did initially, you're wondering how gardening relates to management. Think about the fact that in gardening, you deal with unique plants that each require their own set of conditions to thrive, and you will start to get the idea. I appreciated how insightful the author was in dishing out his lessons in this way, utilizing an activity that many of us can easily relate to in providing in-depth management lessons.

While most readers will root for Nick's success, they will also see themselves in him, as the author captures how confusing it can be as a first timer in that position and also addresses a lot of the common issues they face, including getting people of extremely varying ages and views to work together productively, dealing with an unmotivated workforce, and the expectations of results without clarity. Paul Allman's lessons are well detailed, going through the enlightening discussions between Nick and Mrs. Hortensis and then through Nick's implementation of the lessons at his place of work. Also, the author goes the extra mile to include a summary of those lessons at the end of each chapter to facilitate future reviews.

Furthermore, this guide is professionally edited since I found just two minor errors while reading it. I cannot point to any aspect of the book I did not like as well. The book was thorough, easy to understand, and offered a lot of new knowledge that I'm looking forward to implementing, from applying intrinsic and extrinsic motivators appropriately to engaging in "SMART (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, and Timely)" goals. I rate The Corporate Gardener four out of four. Any manager, both new and experienced, will benefit from picking up this book and implementing its lessons.

The Corporate Gardener
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Pandora10
Favorite Book: Remembering Christmas
Currently Reading: The Road to Management
Bookshelf Size: 116

Post by Pandora10 »

I like the title of this book, it certainly got my attention. I like gardening and was curious about the use of the word corporate, and after reading the excellent review of this book, I think this is a book I would enjoy reading. I think the author has found a unique way of writing about the experience of being a manager in the business world, and it should be useful for those who are managers as well as those planning for a career in management.
T T 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-t-2.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Post by T T 2 »

The book has an interesting title and the content sounds even more interesting and informative. Thank you for a well-written review.
Famooosha1
Currently Reading: The Richest Man In Babylon
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Famooosha1 »

This is interesting. I was interviewed for the post of manager today in a reputable oil and gas company. During the interview, I was asked if I could manage 20 workers both male and female with different age gaps and behaviours.
This book is for me, I need to lay my hand on it as soon as possible and thanks to the reviewer for a superb work.
Shivansh_007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shivansh-007.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Shivansh_007 »

This book will be very helpful for me as I'm going to be in a 9-5 job so I'll learn a lot from it. The reviewer has done a great job explaining us about the book, thank-you.
Apple 7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apple-7.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Apple 7 »

The review will put smiles as it did mine, on the faces of "green horns" in the corporate sector, currently seeking advice on how to manage properly...nice review
John Karanja 1
Favorite Book: The Cadence of Excellence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-karanja-1.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by John Karanja 1 »

The book's author has simplified the understanding of corporate management concepts, to anyone who doesn't understand.
Congrats for the good review.
kauravisingh_solanki
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kauravisingh_solanki »

This book is relate to every person who's a worker in a corporate. Name of this book is exciting and quite interesting.
Paluk Pathania
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paluk-pathania.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Paluk Pathania »

This book can be very useful for a corporate worker. So it will definitely be a positive influence on them and can set an example of a good self-help book as well. Great job with the review!
Chijindu Ifedigbo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chijindu-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Chijindu Ifedigbo »

This book's cover and title are everything attractive and catchy. I love books with such complex, unconventional plots. I wish I could read this book

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”