Review of From Under A Mango Tree

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Oyedeji Okikioluwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 964
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orizon.html
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi

Review of From Under A Mango Tree

Post by Oyedeji Okikioluwa »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "From Under A Mango Tree" by Alan Fagan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

From Under A Mango Tree by Alan Fagan is a 428-page non-fiction novel that tells the story of a hero, Jan, and his life ordeals. This book includes the themes of unconditional love, betrayal, traditional beliefs, adventure, jungle life, and others.

This book was divided into three parts. The first part tells the story of Cornelius, Charlie, and their journey into Rhodesia from South Africa. They had gone along with other travelers and had established a community and a name for themselves. We were also told of Jan, Cornelius' son, Runako, his friend and sworn brother, Tonko and Shaka, the family's dogs. The other parts were about Jan, and his life as a ranger, taking care of the wildlife. He also had help in Humpy and Spike, his dog. Jan discovered that Runako was a poacher under the guise of the name Great Leopard. Jan had to choose between his friendship with Runako and his duty to humanity. Get a copy of this book to read up on the story.

I must say that this book is one of the best non-fiction novels I have ever read. It had a free-flowing plot and contained several flashbacks that were orderly. It also contained descriptive words that heightened the effects of imagery and made the narration more interesting. Given its setting in Rhodesia, now known as Zimbabwe, the author was considerate enough to include a glossary at the end of the book, which aided a better understanding of some words.

After finishing this book, I was filled with information and knowledge, such as the legend about God and Africa, the local method of finding the wind's direction, and why there are more black natives than white in present Zimbabwe. The book also addressed sensitive topics such as racial segregation, discrimination, and man's wickedness.

It was very easy to like Jan. I admired his courage, boldness, perseverance, and wisdom. His preference of the bush and village life to the city reminded me of the poem Piano and Drums. This book showcased the life and trials of a man trying to preserve his culture and the environment he was raised. Despite how serious this subject was, the book was quite hilarious. Spike's loss of interest when they tried to get the maiden to pat his head, the time Gert threatened Courtney about bringing Jan back to the meeting, the story of Bourne and others made me bust out in laughter.

The book was professionally edited, as I only encountered a few minor errors that did not disturb my reading process. The author did an excellent job in this chronicle. I found nothing to dislike in the book. Therefore, I rate From Under A Mango Tree four out of four stars. I recommend this book to lovers of adventures and biographies. I walked out of this book feeling satisfied.

From Under A Mango Tree
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi
Nomcebo_0619
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nomcebo-0619.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nomcebo_0619 »

This seems like a great book because non-fiction always try so hard to be perfect, which leads to the book being boring. I'm glad you found this one amazing. Thanks for a great review.
T T 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-t-2.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Post by T T 2 »

For a change a non-fiction book is about an experience not any self help guide. The content seems very fresh. Thank you for a great review!
Uchechukwu Okereke
Currently Reading: The Aftermath Of The King
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by Uchechukwu Okereke »

Thank you for your review. I really want to find out what path Jan takes and where it leads. Definitely adding it to my library.
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishi-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Rishi_reviews »

I think it'll be a great pick for me. I always like adventurous takes and this one seems like a pretty good one. Thanks for the review.
Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chukwuebuka-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo »

I love the story and how it is portrayed. Thanks for this review. Definitely getting my hands on the book.
JaxRens
Currently Reading: From Under A Mango Tree
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by JaxRens »

Not only is Alan Fagan a most exquisite weaver of words but his love for Africa and his deep connection with all creatures that inhabit it, is tangible and so sensitively captured in FROM UNDER A MANGO TREE.
The story is both brutal and beautiful and I can’t put it down! Like a delicious meal: I want to gobble it all up at once yet also savour every bite to make it last!
If ever Bryce Courtenay and Olive Schreiner had a love child, Alan Fagan would be it!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”