Review of Cats in the House

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chiwelite O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwelite-o.html
Latest Review: The Water Bear by Groucho Jones

Review of Cats in the House

Post by Chiwelite O »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Cats in the House" by Don Halstead.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What if cats could talk? What if they are able to write their own stories and tell us how they feel? I am sure it would be a fantastic experience reading a book narrated by a cat.

The book Cats in the House is written by Don Halstead. It is a short story narrated by Pippin, one of the two cats owned by their human parents. The story starts with Pippin narrating his adoption story. Initially, his human parents had wanted an Orange Tabby cat; however, since they could not find their choice, they settled for a cute Tuxedo cat, Pippin. Pippin is the second cat to be adopted by their human parents after they adopted Emma, a Maine Coon cat.

As the story progresses, Pippin highlights the differences between himself and his sister, Emma. He also tells us about his human dad and his human mum; he highlights the roles they play in taking care of them. However, it is never easy to take care of two cats, especially if their human dad is a retired elderly man. Would Emma and Pippin get along well? Does their human dad keep up with the task of taking care of them? Don Halstead did an excellent job in this book.

This book has considerable positive aspects. I enjoyed that this book was written from the cat's point of view; this made it easier to understand and enjoy this book. Also, the author employed the use of humor in this book. This was seen when Pippin described Emma's method of drinking water and wondered if she was called a Maine Coon cat because she had a Racoon in her. The author also enlightened the readers on the different breeds of cats; for instance, I learned about the Maine Coon breed, the Orange Tabby breed, and so on. I found it funny that Pippin claimed that Tuxedo cats are the most intelligent; I would love to research more on this. At the end of the book, the author attached a picture of Pippin, the narrator; this was helpful because I kept wondering what Pippin looked like as I read the book. I could not find any error in this book; it was exceptionally well edited.

The only problem I have with this book is that the author did not add enough pictures as the book progressed. I felt it would have been helpful to have pictures of the events that Pippin spoke about; for instance, I would have loved to see Emma drinking water by licking her paws.

I rate this book four out of four stars. I gave it a perfect rating because it was worth reading; the author did an amazing job with this book. I could not get myself to give it anything lower than a perfect rating.

I recommended this book to cat lovers. Children would also have a wonderful time reading this book.

Cats in the House
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Paluk Pathania
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paluk-pathania.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Paluk Pathania »

This appears to be a delightful book to read! I have a dog, and I sometimes wish he could talk like the rest of us. I'm sure I'll be ready to read this one. I enjoyed reading your review, thankyou.^^
T T 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-t-2.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Post by T T 2 »

The book sounds very cute. I love cats and my uncle owns one, I would love to know what is going through a cat's mind. Thank you for your review.
Mary Lou Mills
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: The Buffalo Soldier
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-lou-mills.html
Latest Review: Permaculture for the Absolute Beginner by Dawn Raynes
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 8%

Post by Mary Lou Mills »

Awe, this book sounds like so much fun. I can just imagine the Tuxedo cat being pompous and introspective.
Sarah C McHum
Favorite Book: Do I Need a Will or a Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-c-mchum.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by Sarah C McHum »

As a cat-person, this book sounds like an interesting story. I will definitely read it. Thank you for the genuine review.
Jennifer C 14
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Jennifer C 14 »

Cats in the House, I enjoyed that this book was written from the cat's point of view; this made it easier to understand and enjoy this book.
Mody C
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Mody C »

A book from a cat point of view? Sounds like a very interesting book. I cant wait to read this. Thank you so much for your review!
19blueofficial
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-19blueofficial.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by 19blueofficial »

What a cute book! The author is really creative to think this far.
Sarah Sonbol
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

I don't like having pets at home as they require constant care, but this books sounds really great and I would love to read it. Thanks for the nice review.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”