Review of Black in a White World

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: A Gun In My Gucci by Elaine C Smith

Review of Black in a White World

Post by Kennedy NC »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Black in a White World" by Constance Wheat Batty.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Racism has been an issue since time immemorial, as the whites used blacks as slaves and deprived them of so many opportunities. The book Black in a White World: An Incredible Couple Who Changed Lives by Constance Wheat Batty educates us on the authentic lives and times of her black parents, who had a large family and impacted society. Since racism was the order of the day, how did Donald lewis and Irma Lucille Wheat survive? How were they able to cope with criticisms and start a family at the same time without problems? Find out in this educative non-fiction book.

Constance Wheat Batty, the daughter of Donald lewis and Irma Lucille Wheat, writes about her parents after watching old videos and reading her mother’s diary on their life story. Donald Lewis and his wife Irma Lucille wheat were African American high school friends and lovers who later married. Being blacks, surviving in a white man’s land was not easy as the blacks could not become members of trade unions and had to do menial jobs in other to survive. How were they able to survive the racial discrimination? Find out by reading this intriguing nonfiction.

Black in a White World: An Incredible Couple Who Changed Lives is an exciting documentary. I gathered notable facts of what racism looked like in the past and how consistency, passion and dreams can still be achieved in trying times. I admired the author's bravery in addressing certain sensitive realities that many others may be reluctant to discuss. Such issues as racism and discrimination are problems that have not yet been eliminated, even in today's society.

The language was easy to understand, and I discovered only minimal errors in this book. This is proof that it was professionally edited. This knowledge-filled documentary novel was quite educative and exciting. Every positive aspect has a negative part as well. While reading this book, I sometimes got confused as many names were being introduced, leading to poor clarity on certain pages.

Also, I encountered a lot of dates which could lead to confusion and lack of interest while reading. However, it was an educative documentary. Despite the negative points stated above, I would rate this book four out of four stars. I recommend this book to all interested in such sensitive issues as racism and discrimination all over the world. Also, I recommend it to everyone who seeks to persevere, even in the face of trials and opposition.

Black in a White World
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Harsh Soni 3
Favorite Book: How To Be Successful
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harsh-soni-3.html
Latest Review: Wellness Toolbox by Don Roberts

Post by Harsh Soni 3 »

Seems like a documentary on how discrimination makes life unbearable. I will consider this book for reading. Thanks for the review.
Ajiboye Shola
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ajiboye Shola »

Racism is a very bad thing. the world has taken its abolishment very seriously now. I will like to see how this couple can cope during their time. a book like this is important. what a great review.
Limpho Mojakisane
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-limpho-mojakisane.html
Latest Review: Leaving Dahomey by Jude Shaw

Post by Limpho Mojakisane »

Racism is still a very hard topic that needs to be addressed in our everyday lives. Black people might not be slaves anymore but somehow whites still feel superior to black people. I would love to know more on how this great couple actually coped with racism in their time. Thank you for this great review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”