Review of My Football Story

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: My "Enemy" in Vietnam by Billy Springer

Review of My Football Story

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My Football Story" by Wesley Antoine Eggleston.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

My Football Story, by Wesley Eggleston, tells the story of the author’s high school football career in the San Francisco Bay area. The book started life as a ten-page homework assignment. As predicted by his creative-writing teacher, the author returned to the assignment years after finishing school and worked it up into this short book. It’s a work of nonfiction, as the author is telling his own story. There are twelve illustrations by Bonnie Lou Coleman scattered through the book, and it ends with a fact sheet and a glossary.

When Wesley moves into a new grade at high school, he decides to leave basketball aside and try football instead. Wesley is new to the game, but he takes to it like a natural and finds his niche as an offensive lineman. He works hard in practice and is soon catching the eye of his coaches. Wesley gets a real sense of achievement from his efforts, but there are aspects of the game he finds hard; when he gets repeatedly tackled by a much larger and stronger opponent, he realizes that this game hurts! Unsurprisingly, he suffers from muscle soreness and a few mild headaches after practices. On top of that, his grades slip as a result of his commitment to football. Not too long into his career, Wesley is faced with a crisis in his life, one that will have a huge impact on his dreams of playing football at a high level.

The author successfully captures the hard work and passion that goes into amateur sport. He describes the highs, the lows, the joy, and the frustration of team games. The book provides some good insights into the trials and tribulations of young footballers, highlighting the dedication they bring to their sport. I also liked the way the author uses language. He takes care to avoid clichéd phrases, and his descriptions are succinct but on the money. Describing the consistency of a hard-tackling footballer, for example, he writes: “He delivered pain like a mailman delivered the mail.” The biggest compliment I can pay this writer is to say that I enjoyed his story and finished reading it wanting more.

Ultimately, however, the book disappoints on two counts. Firstly, there are too many grammatical and typographical errors, something which suggests that the book has not been professionally edited. Secondly, the book’s printing and presentation leave much to be desired. There are no page numbers or chapter headings, while page breaks often occur mid-line and mid-sentence, leaving one or two words hanging in the air. This is a great shame because the author tells his story well and deserves to have it showcased better.

I am awarding this book two out of four stars, deducting one star for the number of errors and one for the poor-quality production. The book is suitable for a young readership and will be enjoyed particularly by those involved in school sport, as they will identify with many of the writer’s experiences. Don’t be put off by the two-star rating; this is a book worth reading.

My Football Story
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Julius James 1
2021 Reading Goal: 3
Currently Reading: Herculubus or Red Planet
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius-james-1.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Julius James 1 »

I love football,and am glad to read the review. Any player ready to join must face challenges as such; Dislocation,bruises and injuries.
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishi-reviews.html
Latest Review: Reflections of an Anxious African American Dad by Eric L. Heard

Post by Rishi_reviews »

I'm always in for non fiction books. There is so much to learn from them. And this book seems quite interesting as well so I'll definitely put it in my TBR. Thanks for the review.
Ifedigbo_C
2021 Reading Goal: 70
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ifedigbo-c.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade

Post by Ifedigbo_C »

Thanks for this review. Definitely getting my hands on the book.
Paluk Pathania
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paluk-pathania.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Paluk Pathania »

Though the book is based on one of the most popular sports in the world, I believe that too many grammatical mistakes can't be ignored. It becomes distracting after a certain point. Thanks for your honest review.^^
Uchechukwu Okereke
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30

Post by Uchechukwu Okereke »

Thank you for your review. I am a huge fan of Antoine Wesley the football player and so I was under the impression this was his book. Thanks to your review I know otherwise. This books is an autobiography of a college football player still but while I enjoy football, I very much doubt I would pique interest with this book. I would have to pass up on it.
Cassie Minchew
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Cassie Minchew »

Thank you for this review I absolutely love football and am ready to get my hands on this book, very much think I’d get interested in it within the first couple pages!!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”