Review of My Living Will

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Grand River by J. Barry MacLeod

Review of My Living Will

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

[Following is a volunteer review of "My Living Will" by John Trautwein.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Imagine if your whole world was painted with shades of gray, black, and purple – the colors of despair. Life would seem so scary out there with so many responsibilities: school, hobbies, friends, online reality, everything – simply too much to handle. But every morning, you would put on a happy face and lock the looming despair into the depths of your heart. Then you would walk out of the door to face a new day, knowing that everywhere you go, you’d have to shine. Sadly, this is how so many of our children seem to picture the surrounding world. And for some, it becomes too much to handle. Behind their smiling faces, they are astray, alone, and ashamed. Finding a way out of this scary maze of expectations seems impossible. Suicide becomes the only answer. One of these kids was Will Trautwein, a perfectly normal schoolboy. Everybody saw him as a happy, popular, and successful teenager. Unfortunately, nobody knew of his real feelings. Here’s where our true story begins.

The Trautweins were a happy family of six. They could have never imagined what a horrible disaster was heading their way. One morning, Will’s mother Susie found her firstborn dead in his room. Will had taken his own life while the rest of the family was sleeping peacefully. The family was stunned, horrified, and clueless about how this could happen to their precious child. From there on, their life became a struggle of grief, worry, unanswered questions, and self-accusations. The story is told by Will’s father, John Trautwein. He is an old baseball player and has always been the glass-half-full type of a guy. Now the whole glass was totally shattered and didn’t hold even one drop of water. Picking up the pieces turned out to be painful, but John soon realized that he had to find a way to help his family, himself, and other struggling kids out there.

My Living Will by John Trautwein was an extremely emotional read. The author described his loss in such a touching way that remaining as an external observer became impossible. The destiny of his beloved son made me break into tears, and his grieving process became my own. Reading this book at one go was impossible, and I had to take time to organize my thoughts several times. This story broke my heart, but I admired the author’s honesty in sharing these horrendous experiences. The information I gained about teen suicides through this book was valuable. From one father’s painful experience, I learned something about the world our children face every day. This book did not fail to offer tools for more successful interaction with our children. John Trautwein lost his son, but his goal clearly is to keep others alive.

Technically speaking, the implementation of this book was very professional. It had a crucial message, and it was well-written, well-edited, and well-organized. I found only one little detail that could be improved. In my opinion, the author gave too much significance to the timeline from Will’s death to his funeral. I understand this has been a devastating time for John Trautwein, and the execution was truthful to the grieving process. However, as a reader, I felt that it came out slightly repetitive and emotionally exhausting. A bit less would have been enough to make the point.

As has been described above, My Living Will is a prime-quality book by every measure. Therefore, it undoubtedly deserves a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. The author poured his heart and soul into this book and completed his work almost flawlessly. In addition, he set an example that will hopefully inspire many others to act proactively against teenage suicide.

My Living Will by the author John Trautwein is not a light Sunday afternoon read. It is emotional and scary. Still, it shines beautiful rays of hope through the darkness. I warmly recommend this book to everyone who has children or is involved with them through a profession. Depression has many faces, and reading Will’s story can help to save someone’s life!

My Living Will
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kirsi
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

It is admirable that the author is using this sad story to help others. I can identify with your needing to take time while reading this book to process the gravity of this situation. It is an unimaginable pain for any parent. I truly hope this book helps readers to better spot depression in their children and others in their lives.

Thank you for your touching review. :sunflower:
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

MsH2k wrote: 07 Nov 2021, 23:47 It is admirable that the author is using this sad story to help others. I can identify with your needing to take time while reading this book to process the gravity of this situation. It is an unimaginable pain for any parent. I truly hope this book helps readers to better spot depression in their children and others in their lives.

Thank you for your touching review. :sunflower:
Yes, reading this was quite heavy at times, I could not help but think my kids and their friends. The author’s attitude in front of all this was truly admirable. I feel so sorry for him, nevertheless.

Thanks for taking the time to read! 😍
Kirsi
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

You are so right, it's a heart-wrenching story. At the same time, I couldn't put it down. Thank you for your amazing and insightful review!
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I like that the book deals with an important and sensitive topic like suicide. I believe that the only way to prevention is understanding, which can be achieved by reading books like this one. Thanks for the good review.
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Ellylion wrote: 08 Nov 2021, 07:25 You are so right, it's a heart-wrenching story. At the same time, I couldn't put it down. Thank you for your amazing and insightful review!
Yes, it was both, heart-wrenching and so full of hope! Thanks for your kind feedback! ☀️
Kirsi
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Post by NancyDrew12 »

I think a lot of people hide how they truly feel behind smiles. Its sad that for many suicide has become the only option. Id like to see the family deals with their tragic loss. Lovely review! I enjoyed it! :D
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

markodim721 wrote: 08 Nov 2021, 07:53 I like that the book deals with an important and sensitive topic like suicide. I believe that the only way to prevention is understanding, which can be achieved by reading books like this one. Thanks for the good review.
Yes, understanding the issue and also paying attention to our fellow beings are the keys. Thank you for your feedback!
Kirsi
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Rashawn Carter wrote: 09 Nov 2021, 11:38 I think a lot of people hide how they truly feel behind smiles. Its sad that for many suicide has become the only option. Id like to see the family deals with their tragic loss. Lovely review! I enjoyed it! :D
You are probably right. We ought to ask our fellow people more often how are they really doing. This story really shows how powerful a family at its best can be when facing hardship in life.
Thank you for your lovely feedback!
Kirsi
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Machine Crusade
Bookshelf Size: 414
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by NetMassimo »

The author's story is heartbreaking but it underlines the need to learn how to recognize signs of depression in people close to us and how to help them. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Joyjim
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyjim.html
Latest Review: Leora's Letters by Joy Neal Kidney

Post by Joyjim »

What a glowing review! I'm dying to read this book. Suicide has become a growing menace in recent times. Thanks for your recommendation.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

Yes. I read this book and I completely agree with you.
I found myself crying through most of the book, and I do not cry when reading or watching movies, ever.
It was truly emotionally exhausting but also inspirational.
You have to be in a certain state of mind to be able to read this book.
I enjoyed reading your perspective on the book. Great job.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

NetMassimo wrote: 17 Nov 2021, 15:24 The author's story is heartbreaking but it underlines the need to learn how to recognize signs of depression in people close to us and how to help them. Thank you for your great review!
Yes, recognizing depression is crucial when trying to help people.

Thanks for your kind feedback! 😃
Kirsi
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Joyjim wrote: 18 Nov 2021, 17:22 What a glowing review! I'm dying to read this book. Suicide has become a growing menace in recent times. Thanks for your recommendation.
Thank you for your appreciation! I hope you’ll enjoy the book.
Kirsi
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

zainherb wrote: 20 Nov 2021, 05:49 Yes. I read this book and I completely agree with you.
I found myself crying through most of the book, and I do not cry when reading or watching movies, ever.
It was truly emotionally exhausting but also inspirational.
You have to be in a certain state of mind to be able to read this book.
I enjoyed reading your perspective on the book. Great job.
For me it’s not uncommon to cry when reading a book. However, I had to take multiple breaks, sometimes I gathered myself a whole day (or even two) before being able to continue. I don’t recall that happening ever before.

Thank you for your appreciation!
Kirsi

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”