Review of Jack London and Racism in America

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 295
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 35%

Review of Jack London and Racism in America

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Jack London and Racism in America" by Ben Goldstein.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jack London and Racism in America by Ben Goldstein is a nonfiction book focused on the personal beliefs of the famous author, Jack London, as seen through his writings and personal documents. Ben Goldstein conducted a significant amount of research into the opinions of London by reviewing personal letters and studying biographies of the famous author. This 49-page book takes an in-depth look at the contradictions evident in London’s life and works. London led a fascinating life full of adventure and he held strong opinions on many subjects. Excerpts from letters reproduced in this book show how passionate London was in conveying his opinions.

Goldstein provides several sources that support the position that London believed Anglo-Saxons to be the superior race. This is shown by well-documented research into personal letters and papers. One of the contradictions identified in the book was the fact that Jack London lived with an African American couple on and off until he was sixteen. London’s mother suffered from post-partum depression and was unable to nurse him. A neighboring African American woman had a baby who died, so she was able to nurse Jack. This book describes a close relationship between Jack and this family. Therefore, he was aware of the struggles in the African American community and could relate to the community due to his upbringing. Also, despite statements about the superiority of Anglo-Saxons, many of the main characters and heroes in his novels are not Anglo-Saxon.

I enjoy reading books by Jack London. He was a gifted writer and I particularly liked reading Call of the Wild. It was interesting to learn about the personal life and beliefs of Jack London. I was not familiar with the concept that he may have been racist. I learned a lot about his background and personal life from this book. What I liked most about this book was the direct quotes from letters that London sent to friends and associates. It was interesting to read about his beliefs in his own words. He was very passionate about his beliefs and engaged in arguments via these letters on important topics. The only negative I can mention about the book was that it was a short read. At 49 pages, it contains a lot of detailed information. I would have enjoyed reading more analysis and opinions of Goldstein and he presented his research in this book.

I recommend this book to readers who enjoy reading nonfiction books about famous authors and their personal beliefs. Any reader interested in Jack London would find this book fascinating. It would also appeal to readers who enjoy nonfiction books about racism in America. The book focuses on London and his beliefs; however, it also provides details about the historical aspects of America during this time.

I give this book a rating of four out of four stars. I am impressed by the detailed research presented by the author. The personal letters written by London were fascinating to read. I saw only a few grammatical errors in the book, so I believe it was professionally edited. By reading this book, I learned a lot about Jack London and his personal background and opinions.

Jack London and Racism in America
View: on Bookshelves
Last edited by tortle0o0 on 13 Nov 2021, 15:33, edited 1 time in total.
Uchechukwu Okereke
Currently Reading: The Aftermath Of The King
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by Uchechukwu Okereke »

Thank you for your review. Your review gives off the impression that this would be a great book with a lot of insight into the minds of people who have different opinions about others and since it is a short book, it could be read and finished quickly. Unfortunately, stories like this leave a bad taste in my mouth so I would have to pass.
John Karanja 1
Favorite Book: The Cadence of Excellence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-karanja-1.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by John Karanja 1 »

It seems that racism came from some people, while others did the opposite and gave tender love, and lived in the same localities.
Oscar E Gomez
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Oscar E Gomez »

A nice review on a difficult issue. Congratulations. For me has been a disappointment to know that a figure like Jack London was racist; but we have to live with what we have around... One more time: A really nice review. Thanks.

Oscar
Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chukwuebuka-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo »

This is quite fascinating and educative. Thanks for this review. Definitely getting my hands on the book.
Paluk Pathania
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paluk-pathania.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Paluk Pathania »

I believe that this book will enlighten alot of us about different topics. I'm genuinely curious about Ben's research. Thanks for your review. I liked it!^^
Steven Springett
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steven-springett.html
Latest Review: Chasing A Flawed Sun by Daniel McGhee

Post by Steven Springett »

Your review has piqued my interest and I will pursue! You would probably enjoy his Memoir " John Barleycorn" (1903) if you can get hold of a print.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I had never heard this about Jack London! Now, I'm thinking back to books of his I've read, trying to recall if anything particular stands out. People wrote differently back then, so it's hard to differentiate what is racism and what is a reflection of the times. Either way, it seems this would be an interesting read and might provide a different or additional perspective on Jack London! I've very curious to read this book after reading your review!
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your review. I know Jack London and his famous piece, but it's meaningless to pry into the personal affairs of a dead man.
Joel Landiza
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Joel Landiza »

Reading in this book with my imagination, feels like im in london, the book fly me somewhere in a place that i want to be. Love it
Ifesi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ifesi.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Ifesi »

I love how short and well-detailed the book is. Thanks to the reviewer for an amazing review despite that it was a short read. Congratulations to the author on winning BOTD.
Pandora10
Favorite Book: Remembering Christmas
Currently Reading: The Road to Management
Bookshelf Size: 116

Post by Pandora10 »

It seems like Ben, the author, has done a good deal of research for this book. Jack London is not an author I am interested in, so I will pass on this book.
Nyaudo_Press
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyaudo-press.html
Latest Review: The Party Line by Dennis D. Gagnon

Post by Nyaudo_Press »

A good review on racism. I'd love to read "Jack London and Racism in America" when I have time. Congratulations!
Christopherio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christopherio.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by Christopherio »

Great review. This book is educative and shares opinions and beliefs that can be seen as influencial or insightful.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an interesting non-fiction book highlighting significant amount of research into the opinions of London by reviewing personal letters and studying biographies of the famous author. The book is temporarily free on Amazon Kindle and has an inciteful OnlineBookClub review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”