Review of Goodbye Chomsky, and Other Essays on Language

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nonso Ok
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-ok.html
Latest Review: A Murder in Brownsville by Donald Steven Collins

Review of Goodbye Chomsky, and Other Essays on Language

Post by Nonso Ok »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Goodbye Chomsky, and Other Essays on Language" by Robert D..King.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Goodbye Chomsky, and Other Essays on Language written by Robert D. King, is a non-fiction book. It comprises twenty chapters. The author focuses on linguistics, its definitions by several scholars, the history of linguistics, language myth, the history of English, and its evolution. The author's love for linguistics and his keen interest to see the intellectually curious reader gain knowledge on the topics involving language drove him to write this book.

The book Goodbye Chomsky, and Other Essays on Language starts with Robert D. King providing answers to a question he was asked by a couple concerning languages. The author believes that there is more to linguistics than theory; hence, his reason for writing this book. He says that language is a part of virtually everything we do. Language is so much with us, and it is a large part of our everyday life.

Goodbye Chomsky, and Other Essays on Language has some positive aspects. The first one is that despite being lengthy, this book kept me on my toes. I believe any reader with an interest in linguistics would have felt the same. Also, this book was written in a simple language; the simplicity of diction in the book was beneficial. I appreciate that at the end of every chapter, the author included references, which would assist anyone who wants to do some more research. I also enjoyed the moderate length of the book. Finally, I must commend Robert for explaining the meaning of some of the French or German words used in this book; this helped my understanding of the book as I read it. I learned new words like "I see the boy" which when translated in French is "Je vois le garçon," "Ich bin so müde, Weibchen" when translated from German to English means "I am so tired, my sweet wife," "Brotwissenschaft" is the German term for "how he earned his bread," while "Je Vous en prie" in French means "please."

I tried so hard to find a negative aspect in the book Goodbye Chomsky, and Other Essays on Language; I found none. I enjoyed everything about this book; It was very enlightening. I found minimal errors in this book; it was professionally edited.

Therefore, I rate Robert's book Goodbye Chomsky, and Other Essays on Language 4 out of 4 stars. I did not give this book a lower rating since the errors I found did not take away my overall satisfaction from the book; it was educative and enlightening to read.

I recommend this book generally to all language lovers worldwide and particularly to those who want to learn new languages. Anyone who enjoys reading about linguistics would enjoy reading this book.

Goodbye Chomsky, and Other Essays on Language
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chukwuebuka-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo »

This is an excellently written piece and a good book I must say. Can't wait to get my hands on it.
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

I like that it has references and that it gives a fresh perspective on linguistics. Thanks for a great review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”