Review of Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Luchris_michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-michael.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Review of Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide

Post by Luchris_michael »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles is a book designed to help and assist writers in the process of creating notable works of fiction. William H. Coles is an experienced literary fiction writer. He has written many books over the last decade and has won many awards for his dexterity in the art of writing. The book is divided into two parts. The first part of the book discusses the various elements of literary fiction such as characterization, imagination, dramatic plot and complexity. The second part of the book provides advice on how to create an interesting fiction story. The second part of the book covers the fundamentals of telling literary stories, the essentials of literary story writing, how a story comes to life and many more. The book explains the importance of the concepts mentioned in the book. The author wrote this book with the deliberate intention of guiding young and novice writers through the rudiments of literary fiction. The book is also a work of pure analysis on how stories fail or remain relevant for many decades.

I picked this book because I am an aspiring author and while reading through I realized that writing stories can be very tedious. Most people make mistakes that they do not know about while writing literary fiction. The author explains expressly how to create a well-rounded fictional story.

Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles is an inspiring book that will serve as a good fiction guide for me. The book taught me a lot of things. I learned how valuable and important good characterization is. I also learned that imagination allows for the growth of characterization in a book.

I enjoyed the author's presentation of the guidelines and principles. The author used simple words that helped me flow well with the book. I love the part of the book that explains why literary stories fail. It will help me to have a picture in mind while writing my fiction stories so that I won't write a story that fails.

The book was well-edited. There is nothing I disliked in the book. I recommend the book to anyone interested in writing literary fiction as it would be helpful to them. The book also explored the necessity of structuring stories in a meaningful way. I also recommend it to authors who want to brush up on their writing skills. I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars.

Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”