Review of The Muffin Man Chronicles

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SarahAlligator20
2021 Reading Goal: 120
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahalligator20.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Review of The Muffin Man Chronicles

Post by SarahAlligator20 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Muffin Man Chronicles" by Steve Marks.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Muffin Man Chronicles: Recipes for Entrepreneurial Success is a nonfiction book written by Steve Marks. In it, Marks narrates the failures and successes of his entrepreneurial journey, imparting to readers some valuable lessons gained from his experiences.

From the moment he launched his first cinnamon toothpick enterprise in the fourth grade, Steve Marks just knew he was cut out for a life in which he paved his own path. This passion for entrepreneurship would soon determine his career trajectory. At twenty-six years old, he makes his first big purchase at an auction, becoming the proud owner of a derelict five-storey building on Main Street, in Akron, Ohio. Together with his long-time friend turned business partner, Harvey Nelson, he dreams up the idea for Main Street Muffins, selling muffins to the everyday worker, then later to food stores and popular chain restaurants, namely McDonald’s. Their venture is a fast success, though it doesn’t come without its own pitfalls and challenges. Read to find out the strategic ways that Marks used to overcome these difficulties.

I liked Marks’ tone of voice in the story; it injected humour and made his entire story somewhat relatable. He combines aspects of his personal life with his recount of his career experiences, like his relationship with one particular girlfriend and with Harvey Nelson, all without overshadowing the main goal – to share tips about navigating the ups and downs of the business world. His reactions to certain events were a treat to read. A favourite of mine is when he recounts how he screamed in victorious exhilaration when a deal was closed successfully, confiding that his voice was strained for the following two days. His narration is one of the major positives of the book.

Marks and Nelson appear to be diametric opposites. Nelson is a crucial part of the story, being both Marks’ business partner and friend. Their differences sometimes cause disagreements, especially with regard to their working relationship. There is a specific point where too much friction came about due to their vastly different approaches to business and their treatment of one another in a professional capacity. I liked how Marks owned up to his faults in the whole affair, agreeing to make significant changes and be more accommodating to his partner. This ties in with one of the underlying lessons in the book: taking a step back to reassess, then adapt. It also imbued more than a touch of genuineness in the text.

The Muffin Man Chronicles, at first glance, appears to be an instructional fix-all that equips readers with key strategies drafted to master one’s entrepreneurial journey, strongly implying the presence of actionable tools with the use of the word ‘recipes’ in the subtitle. That is not the case, however. The recipes that round off each chapter act as advice or suggestions, more so than practical steps one can implement. There are seven of these recipes, along with quotes from paragons of success interspersed throughout the body of the text, that end the chapters. Honestly, they rather felt like words a big-name personality would say in passing. I didn’t dislike any one thing about the book, but I believe this to be somewhat of a flaw.

I believe that The Muffin Man Chronicles has been thoroughly edited. This is as I found only two errors in the entire book. No warnings need to be issued for profane or sexual content, as, apart from a brief description of a kiss and very minor curse words, nothing truly untoward is said or happens in the book.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. This book seems designed to equip readers with the basic skillset required to achieve success in the entrepreneurial field. It didn’t necessarily deliver on its apparent aim, however. I feel that including more workable tips and concrete aids would not have been remiss. I recommend The Muffin Man Chronicles to people who are seeking inspiration at any point in their entrepreneurial journey. People who are looking for books that have a hands-on approach to business practices and tactics would perhaps be out of luck.

The Muffin Man Chronicles
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kingsley Emodi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kingsley-emodi.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Kingsley Emodi »

Tips for entrepreneural success will come in handy for a lot of people starting up new businesses. Great review.
Novin Aliyah
2021 Reading Goal: 10
Currently Reading: The Shade of Highfall
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Novin Aliyah »

I need to learn entrepreneur. I hope this book can make me understand and succeed in practicing the book.
Bigtreasure06
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bigtreasure06 »

It's always interesting to find out how to overcome difficulties and overwhelming challenges most especially in the world of entrepreneur. Nice work.
Ekezie1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekezie1998.html
Latest Review: Bugs, Weeds, and Water by Evangeline Greene

Post by Ekezie1998 »

A book about that chronicles one’s failures and successes is most welcome. Great review.
Shivansh_007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shivansh-007.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Shivansh_007 »

Entrepreneurial tips are always in need for someone who is a business person. Thanks for recommendation and great review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”