Review of Uncensored: A guide to putting on your big girl panties

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Miriam Molina
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: A Stained White Radiance
Bookshelf Size: 645
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-molina.html
Latest Review: Lightshade by Marie Montine
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Review of Uncensored: A guide to putting on your big girl panties

Post by Miriam Molina »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Uncensored: A guide to putting on your big girl panties" by Theresa Tirk.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Theresa Tirk is now a life coach, a certified aromatherapist, and a “ritual queen.” She is intent on helping women achieve peaceful and joyful lives. Was she always so self-assured? You will never guess. In this “self-help memoir,” she details how she was able to rise from the depths of despair.

Uncensored: A Guide to Putting on Your Big Girl Panties is not an advertisement for Victoria’s Secret. The title only highlights the author’s contagious sense of humor that appropriately cushions the impact of the painful experiences that she narrates. She grew up with parents who were addicted to alcohol and drugs. To avoid trouble, she learned the trick of people-pleasing at an early age. She felt that she needed to make everyone happy, that is, everyone but herself. Her people-pleasing activities persisted as she transitioned into being a wife and mother. One day, she found herself seriously contemplating suicide.

Theresa’s story started with a sad childhood; she had undiagnosed depression from when she was very young. However, the reader need not have experienced such a traumatic past to benefit from the book. While it presumably caters to women, the book can teach men a few things as well. The men may not be comfortable reading the paper copy in public, though.

Each section of the book ends with points to ponder. Theresa encourages her readers to jot down their answers to questions relevant to the matter discussed. She also attaches “how-to” guides after each section and as appendices. These guides alone are reason enough to buy the book. I enjoyed her discussion of the various self-help modalities, which she calls “rituals”; podcasts, essential oils, and the Hawaiian practice of forgiveness, Ho’oponopono, are among them.

The book is written in the first person. Theresa uses an informal tone, calling the reader “my friend” and “lady,” taking them into her confidence. It is difficult not to relax and relish the read, despite the painful moments that pepper the pages.

I would have wanted to give the book the perfect rating, but a couple of things stopped me. The imperfect editing was one. Recognizing the casual voice employed, I chalked up the comma splices and sentence fragments to “poetic license.” However, there were many other editing slipups; I hope the author can treat those hiccups. I also noted 18 missing pages. For example, I couldn’t find pages 37 and 38. Perhaps it was a formatting issue with my EPUB reader. I didn’t seem to miss any content, though. A section entitled “Epilogue” had nothing on the page apart from the title. Another negative for me was the heavy swearing throughout the book. I didn’t think the “four-letter words” were needed that frequently. After weighing the pros and cons, I decided to rate the book 3 out of 4 stars.

Uncensored would help adult women, whether they have psychological issues or not. Theresa’s healing journey is uplifting. We certainly crave positive reinforcement these days. As mentioned above, adult men are welcome to share Theresa’s secrets, too.

Allow me to end with this inspiring quote from the book, although it is not an original from the author: “Always remember this: You can’t wear a crown if your head is down.”

Uncensored: A guide to putting on your big girl panties
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Fareed Regal
2021 Reading Goal: 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fareed-regal.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Fareed Regal »

I think anyone who can transcend the upbringing that the author had, deserves to have their story told. As an adult male, I would be happy to read this book as wisdom coming out of life experiences should not be handcuffed by gender-based stereotyping.
Ekezie1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekezie1998.html
Latest Review: The Human and The Divine by Terry-Ann Grant

Post by Ekezie1998 »

A great book on how to rise from the depths of despair.
Miriam Molina
Favorite Book:

Post by Miriam Molina »

Fareed Regal wrote: 27 Oct 2021, 04:02 I think anyone who can transcend the upbringing that the author had, deserves to have their story told. As an adult male, I would be happy to read this book as wisdom coming out of life experiences should not be handcuffed by gender-based stereotyping.
Atta boy! Thanks for dropping by and leaving a wonderful comment.
Miriam Molina
Favorite Book:

Post by Miriam Molina »

Ekezie1998 wrote: 28 Oct 2021, 12:05 A great book on how to rise from the depths of despair.
Theresa and I thank you for the visit!
Rachael S 1
Currently Reading: Eye of the World
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachael-s-1.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho and Jayme S. Alencar

Post by Rachael S 1 »

It sounds like the author went through a lot to get to where she is now. Learning to grow up in that environment is difficult. Good for her to share her experiences.
Miriam Molina
Favorite Book:

Post by Miriam Molina »

Rachael S 1 wrote: 28 Oct 2021, 16:32 It sounds like the author went through a lot to get to where she is now. Learning to grow up in that environment is difficult. Good for her to share her experiences.
Yes, her story tells us that no one is beyond healing.
Unosthetic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unosthetic.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Unosthetic »

I liked the author's sense of humor, she did great on making such a catchy title. The title is way different from what the book has to offer. Your review was excellently written.
Miriam Molina
Favorite Book:

Post by Miriam Molina »

Unosthetic wrote: 01 Nov 2021, 19:05 I liked the author's sense of humor, she did great on making such a catchy title. The title is way different from what the book has to offer. Your review was excellently written.
Thank you for dropping by and making my day with your excellent comment! 😆
Katarina Radovcic
2021 Reading Goal: 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katarina-radovcic.html
Latest Review: Scorn of Secrets by B. Truly

Post by Katarina Radovcic »

This was such a thorough review! I liked how you specified all the cons of the book, too. Well done!
Joyjim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyjim.html
Latest Review: A Spiritual Dog: "Bear" by J. Wesley Porter

Post by Joyjim »

Such a difficult childhood. The quote at the end is beautiful as well. This is a book ill love to read. Thanks for a lovely review.
ButterscotchCherrie
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
2021 Reading Goal: 165
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterscotchcherrie.html
Latest Review: El Oficio De Narrar Sin Miedo by Harris Whitbeck
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1

Post by ButterscotchCherrie »

I love a book with a good question section at the end of the chapters. Thanks for yet another queenly review!
Pronouns: she, her
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: She Speaks Her Silence by Carla J Frye

Post by markodim721 »

I think it is good that each chapter contains points to weight as well as self-help modalities, ie. rituals.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: Mysteries you can't put down by Brad Bennett

Post by Ellylion »

The book seems to be very interesting and unique - people pleasing activities are rarely covered. I would like to read this on, but sorry about the issues tho. Thank you very much for a great review!
Honest-reviewer
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Mister Pushkin Breaks The Ice by AC Michael

Post by Honest-reviewer »

This book seems quite informative and helpful. I want to know more about the author’s rituals. Thanks for your wonderful review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”