Review of Journey of Love

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Review of Journey of Love

Post by markodim721 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Journey of Love" by Lauren Laurence.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book Journey of Love Healing of My Heart by Lauren Laurence presents the life of Rosa Jones African American woman from Kansas from her birth and childhood, through marriage to graduation. Along with Rosa Jones, her family, relatives, and friends are also described. Since Rosa Jones was born in 1939 and the book ends with the outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic, the book covers an impressive nine decades. The content of the book is chronologically organized with Rosa Jones as the narrator. As the book itself has 40 pages and a total of 24 chapters, most chapters are only one or two pages long. However, don't be fooled by the small volume of the book, because the book is very informative.

Most of the book is dedicated to the life of Rosa Jones from the moment she started living with her husband as a military wife, which meant frequent relocations following his profession. In addition to the United States, the narrator of the book accompanied her husband to the Philippines as well as to Spain. In addition to the family, the cornerstone of Rosa Jones' life is Christianity. The detail of when she received her personal Bible at the age of 11 is touchingly described. Unwavering faith gave the main character of the book the strength to endure numerous challenges, the biggest of which were certainly those related to the illness of family members.

What I really liked about the book Journey of Love Healing of My Heart is the positive attitude and faith in the human kindness of the narrator. Although the story is told from the perspective of Rosa Jones, it provided a deeper insight into the thinking of an African American woman and the challenges that an ordinary person can face in life. I liked that the main heroine of the book, although faced with racism and segregation, never lost faith in human kindness and humanity. In addition, I really liked that some sublime human and civilizational values intersected with personal stories on the pages of the book. The content of the book ranges from earning allowance in childhood, through fear of snakes and memories of the Halloween party, memories of the great aunt that encouraged education, all the way to the health challenges of the narrator's son. Also, I like that the book shows the maturation and progress of the narrator in every sense.

There are several elements in the book Journey of Love Healing of My Heart that I didn’t like. There is almost no dialogue in the whole book. Described events from the life of Rosa Jones are ungainly described and secondary details are often insisted upon. A significant part of the book is occupied by quotations from the Bible and typos are very common. In addition, the point of the book is not emphasized clearly enough.

Deciding how to rate the book Journey of Love Healing of My Heart was quite easy. I rate the book with two out of four stars. Although the book carries sublime messages about love, the importance of family, solidarity, they are most often ungainly presented to readers, and the narration of the book seems defocused.

I recommend the book primarily to fans of memoirs inspired by the Christian tradition and fans of books whose backbone is family values. Due to the frequent Christian symbolism, I think that the book would not be a good choice for readers of other religious affiliations and attitudes.

Journey of Love
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ivvie Ivanova
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Currently Reading: Beyond Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivvie-ivanova.html
Latest Review: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (Spanish Edition) by Peter Liptak
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 50532

Post by Ivvie Ivanova »

Sounds like it could use a few rounds of editing. I think the concept is interesting and it could be bittersweet read, but I'd rather wait until after editing. Thank you for your review!
markodim721
Currently Reading:

Post by markodim721 »

Ivvie Ivanova wrote: 24 Oct 2021, 09:35 Sounds like it could use a few rounds of editing. I think the concept is interesting and it could be bittersweet read, but I'd rather wait until after editing. Thank you for your review!
I agree that a few rounds of editing would raise the quality of a book. Thanks for the honest comment, I appreciate it.
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

The book's theme is fascinating. The story of Rosa Jones appeals me even though I'm not a Christian. Thanks for the great review.
Ekezie1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekezie1998.html
Latest Review: life lessons of wayne by shawn wayne swearingen

Post by Ekezie1998 »

Rosa Jones and her faith to endure numerous challenges. Great review.
markodim721
Currently Reading:

Post by markodim721 »

Kaushiki Parihar wrote: 24 Oct 2021, 11:45 The book's theme is fascinating. The story of Rosa Jones appeals me even though I'm not a Christian. Thanks for the great review.
I am glad that I managed to present the book and the story of Rosa Jones in the right way. Thanks for the comment.
markodim721
Currently Reading:

Post by markodim721 »

Ekezie1998 wrote: 25 Oct 2021, 07:45 Rosa Jones and her faith to endure numerous challenges. Great review.
This is exactly what I often thought myself. Thanks for stopping by, I appreciate it.
Unosthetic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unosthetic.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Unosthetic »

I liked how you write that the book may contain one to two pages per chapter, it is still informative. Thanks for the great review.
markodim721
Currently Reading:

Post by markodim721 »

Unosthetic wrote: 25 Oct 2021, 22:46 I liked how you write that the book may contain one to two pages per chapter, it is still informative. Thanks for the great review.
Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment, I appreciate it.
Julius J James
Currently Reading: Herculubus or Red Planet
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius-james-1.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Julius J James »

Rosa Jones never lose faith in humanity. She faced the challenges with endurance which was gotten from a bible.
markodim721
Currently Reading:

Post by markodim721 »

Julius James 1 wrote: 27 Oct 2021, 14:18 Rosa Jones never lose faith in humanity. She faced the challenges with endurance which was gotten from a bible.
I totally agree with you. Thanks for the comment, I appreciate it.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”