Review of Living in Color

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christabel Uzoamaka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-uzoamaka.html
Latest Review: Atlantis Revealed by Riaan Booysen

Review of Living in Color

Post by Christabel Uzoamaka »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Living in Color" by Mike Murphy.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mike and Margot met and fell in love in less than desirable circumstances. But somehow, they managed to fight for their love. What they did not know was that in a few months after resolving to be together, they would have to fight for Margot’s life. When Mike discovers a small lump in Margot’s breast, she downplays it. Soon enough, they realize that it is breast cancer. Margot spends the next nine years of her life getting treatment, but she never stops living in color. Even though she was in immense pain, Margot emanated light and wisdom that transcends understanding. Living in Color is one of Mike Murphy’s tributes to his wife, Margot. This book is a real-life story of love, pain, courage, and higher understanding.

One of the things Margot told Mike was, “Continue to be a good man.” And Mike has continued to uphold this character. His search for a higher purpose led him to found the Love From Margot Foundation, which assists low-income women with breast cancer access treatment and good medical care. Additionally, he has created this book, which I believe will be helpful for people suffering from any illness, especially cancer; Margot’s strength and approach of faith and love will help such persons with strength and light.

The primary time setting of Living in Color is 2010 till 2011. The book is made up of three parts. In the first scene, we meet Margot when she is already sick and making a serious decision, but soon the author takes readers back to how they fell in love. This flashback style of writing continues throughout the rest of the book. I loved that the author included a backstory to his relationship with Margot. Also, how the author perfectly merged the past and current timelines left me in awe, as this style of writing can leave readers confused.

I did not agree with the way Mike and Margot’s relationship came about, but as I read on, Margot’s light blew me away and evaporated any judgment I had. I loved so much that the author’s main messages were love, kindness, strength, and a higher understanding. The author arranged the book with dates, writing in the first person, and some dialogue. I found the writing style to be perfect. I found that the dates allowed me to keep track of the many events without things seeming disorganized, and the dialogue was not overdone. The author also managed to make me laugh several times despite the bleak occurrences.

The author is an excellent record keeper; he included pictures, emails, writings from Margot, and even blog posts. All of this made my reading experience so much more intimate. I began to feel like I was Margot’s friend. There were certain things Margot said that I had to highlight because they resonated with me. When she said that she was living beyond fear, it was like a revelation to me. I did not dislike anything about the book. So I rate Living in Color 4 out of 4 stars. This book will be a great read for romance readers. If you have experienced loss or are looking for a deeper understanding of life, you should read this book. You may not agree with everything the author believes, but there is wisdom that comes from staring death in the face many years at a time, and Mike Murphy captured some of that in this book.

Living in Color
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Shivali Y
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shivali-y.html
Latest Review: Sound of Redemption by William John Rostron

Post by Shivali Y »

I adore the way you said you began to feel like you were Margot's friend - definitely shows the excellence of the book. Thanks for a great review!
Elendu Ekechukwu
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Elendu Ekechukwu »

I can't wait to read this emotional book, how does Mike cope with all this. Good review
collinsogw555
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collinsogw555.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by collinsogw555 »

This seems to be a love book that has a sad ending as Margaret has an ailment that could claim her life, I need to read this book to know if she scaled through or not. Thanks for your review.
asteel18
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asteel18.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by asteel18 »

I love Mike Murphy's books. He's a brilliant author. I'm also a breast cancer survivor so this will be a definite read for me. Thank you for the review!
-Amy
Nonso Ok
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-ok.html
Latest Review: A Murder in Brownsville by Donald Steven Collins

Post by Nonso Ok »

I hope Margaret is fine in the end. I would love to read this book. Thank you.
Ivvie Ivanova
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Currently Reading: Beyond Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivvie-ivanova.html
Latest Review: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (Spanish Edition) by Peter Liptak
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 50532

Post by Ivvie Ivanova »

I'm pretty sure this book will make me cry when I read it and that is exactly why I will be reading this soon. Thank you for your review!
Alice Fu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: What Every Teen Should Know About Money, Accumulating Wealth and Becoming a Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-fu.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Alice Fu »

I appreciate how you mentioned that the story was told in flashbacks. My favorite style of writing is the type where the present events are combined with the past to create a full narrative of everything occurring in the story
peter-turo
Favorite Book: Rescuing General Patton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peter-turo.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by peter-turo »

Nine years of battling breast cancer is nothing less than Courage. Margot and Mike relationship seem to have been made in unlikely situations. Murphy must be a good man since he never abandoned his wife few months into their relationship when they discovered the dawn of breast cancer in their life. This book will not just appeal to romantics but also people who are battling sickness and pain. Love this book.
Pauls_
Currently Reading: A Dagger In The Heart
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul.html
Latest Review: Recognizing Beauty by Cyndi Burrough

Post by Pauls_ »

Margot and Mike had a unique relationship. It must have been a difficult time for the couple. I'm impressed with Margot's bravery in the face of death. I look forward to reading the book. Congratulations on BOTD.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Congrats on BOTD. This will be an encouraging book for patients who are fighting against cancers and other sicknesses.
Mahmoud Bassyouni
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mahmoud Bassyouni »

It really symbolizes the bond between the couple, Margaret and Mike, where they set a different motive and lifestyle. It is new to them; moreover, it sparks a new challenge for both of them in which they decide whether to fight for their loved ones or surrender to them.
kiki2881
Currently Reading: The diary of a little girl
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiki2881.html
Latest Review: The Neighbour At Number 18 (Reload) by Hawa Crickmore

Post by kiki2881 »

This is a poignant story, and i'd like to know why Mike chose a reflective writing style and how much he's in touch with his past with Margot
Hyacinth Bella
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyacinth-bella.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Hyacinth Bella »

Love really does make us move mountains, and the proof of that is Mike's and Margot's love story and relationship. It fascinates me to the bone whenever I read books or memoirs that entail a legendary love story, and I wonder if I would ever experience one. Nonetheless, I would like to read this book whenever I got the time.

Thank you so much for your review!
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

The author is an excellent record keeper; he included pictures, emails, writings from Margot, and even blog posts. All of this made my reading experience so much more intimate. I began to feel like I was Margot’s friend. There were certain things Margot said that I had to highlight because they resonated with me. When she said that she was living beyond fear, it was like a revelation to me. I did not dislike anything about the book. So I rate Living in Color 4 out of 4 stars. This book will be a great read for romance readers. If you have experienced loss or are looking for a deeper understanding of life, you should read this book. You may not agree with everything the author believes, but there is wisdom that comes from staring death in the face many years at a time, and Mike Murphy captured some of that in this book.
The different genres of text must make the reading flow quite interesting. I wonder what happened that you don't find the beginning of the relationship acceptable...But I love a good romance story, so I'm up for it.
Great review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”