Review of Spotting Danger Before It Spots Your Kids

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Standor5865
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-standor5865.html
Latest Review: The Long Tale of Tears and Smiles by Rana Bitar

Review of Spotting Danger Before It Spots Your Kids

Post by Standor5865 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Spotting Danger Before It Spots Your Kids" by Gary Quesenberry.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The fears that come with not just having a child but also sending a child into the world are numerous. Anything can happen at any time, especially with several dangers that exist and pose threats to children's wellbeing. As parents, how can we prepare our children for what is out there? And in doing so, how can we ensure that the unreasonable fear that can arise is controlled or prevented?

Gary Quesenberry offers answers to these questions and more in Spotting Danger Before It Spots Your Kids. The central theme of the book revolves around teaching children about staying safe while they become independent and integrate into society. The book is divided into three phases. Phase one clarifies parents' role in child safety while introducing the basic elements of situational awareness that parents should incorporate in their lives. Phase two revolves around the best methods parents can employ to introduce situational awareness to children, including how children process information, and phase three takes us through understanding the intricacies of making situational awareness a habit for children without triggering unreasonable fear.

Gary Quesenberry's experience as a father of three adults, who have remarkably benefitted from these lessons, as shown across the personal stories included at different points of the book, greatly qualifies him as an authority on the subject. Nevertheless, it was the infusion of his experiences in the "Federal Air Marshal Service" that piqued my interest the most.

For a subject as serious as child safety, the author has done well to present his message in a fun way that fosters easy learning while sticking to the theme of informing children without provoking unreasonable fear. This was my favorite aspect of the book, as maximum reader participation is encouraged while readers will engage in the plethora of simple situational awareness games the author introduces, from memory games, like "I Spy" and "role-playing," to my personal favorite "what if" games that depict different situations to challenge children's critical thinking while putting the lessons into practice and bolstering confidence.

The author also does well to include true-life short stories of children that have saved others and prevented bad situations by applying all they have learned. The references to these stories are also included, and parents will be pleased to know that their children have the ability to mirror those examples when faced with danger. Furthermore, Spotting Danger Before It Spots Your Kids is an exceptionally well-edited book since I did not find any errors while reading.

Overall, this is a hugely beneficial and relevant book. It is easy to read and understand, and the methods discussed are practicable, mostly fun, and will improve several other aspects of readers' lives, including family connections. I cannot think of anything I dislike about this guide. Therefore, a maximum rating of four out of four stars is in order. As hinted earlier, every parent will benefit from reading this book, and I would strongly recommend it to them.

Spotting Danger Before It Spots Your Kids
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Paluk Pathania
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paluk-pathania.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Paluk Pathania »

This book will be extremely beneficial to individuals who have recently become parents. Great review, thanks! :)
Nonso Ok
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-ok.html
Latest Review: A Murder in Brownsville by Donald Steven Collins

Post by Nonso Ok »

Always good to educate children early on basic safety measure. You would never know when it will come in handy. Thank you for this beautiful review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”