Review of Growing Up in Gettysburg during WWII and the 40s

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Slater678
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slater678.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in Gettysburg during WWII and the 40s by Bruce and Nancy Westerdahl

Review of Growing Up in Gettysburg during WWII and the 40s

Post by Slater678 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Growing Up in Gettysburg during WWII and the 40s" by Bruce and Nancy Westerdahl.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

May 30, 2018, marked Bruce and Nancy Westerdahl’s 65th wedding anniversary, a milestone that saw them celebrate their love together with their three children, eight grandchildren, and five great-grandchildren. Their memoir, Growing Up in Gettysburg during WWII and the 40s, has a lot to say about Gettysburg, the historical town that is synonymous with the most significant battle ever fought during the American Civil War. Their story began in 1942, the year Bruce—then only a sixth-grader—moved to Gettysburg.

Seventy-nine years earlier (July 1 – 3, 1863), though, the Battle of Gettysburg pitted Union and Confederate forces. As one of the effects of the war, the Westerdahls detailed how one prominent family’s members had conflicting allegiances. In 1863, Henry Culp was a wealthy farmer who owned a sizable chunk of arable farmland in Gettysburg. So vast was his assets that a rolling hill was named after him (Culp’s Hill). Years later, Culp’s Hill would feature prominently as one of the prime spots where neighborhood boys met to play touch football in the fall or softball in the spring. During the era of the Civil War, nevertheless, Culp’s Hill was the scene where Wesley Culp, one of Henry Culp’s nephews, met his death as he fought in an opposing position to his brother, William Culp.

I liked the memoir because the Westerdahls achieved their goal of writing their life story. Even though the story is a love record meant for their descendants, I gained by experiencing a lifestyle and a perspective that is different and foreign in comparison to my own. I was mesmerized by a concept known as “a Tom Thumb wedding,” for example. In the memoir, the Westerdahls included an undated photograph of a pre-teen Nancy, among other kids, featured in a bride’s gown and gracing her wedding! I thought that, in today’s world, such a practice might be abused or misconstrued given the prevalence of cases involving pedophiles.

That notwithstanding, the story took me to a time I thought life was straightforward and honest. It’s my opinion that the proliferation of dating apps, for example, has made the simple task of searching for a suitor complicated. Compared to the Westerdahls who married at twenty-two, today’s youth would be extremely lucky to settle down by the age of thirty, mainly because people’s priorities have changed, and personal circumstances are now largely dictated by technology.

In summary, since the memoir appeared to have been made up of previously published blog posts, there was no chronological order to the stories. For this reason, the authors tended to repeat some story segments. The most distracting aspect, even so, was the high number of editing errors in the writing. As a result, I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars.

Lastly, from the authors’ memoir, Gettysburg attracts a lot of tourists each year (over a million in 2017). Of interest, this book focuses on the historical and social importance of this famous town. Other than visiting the town, therefore, a prospective reader will gain valuable insider knowledge by reading this book. At the same time, it may be less suited for a reader who is not interested in historical narratives.

Growing Up in Gettysburg during WWII and the 40s
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kingsley Emodi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kingsley-emodi.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Kingsley Emodi »

This is a great review of the author's memoir. Lovers of historical fiction will definitely enjoy this one. Well done.
collinsogw555
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collinsogw555.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by collinsogw555 »

This book sounds lovely as WWII was a difficult period for a lot of people and reading the love life of Bruce and Nancy would be fascinating. Thanks for such a detailed review.
Niens Now
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Survival of Species
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-niens-now.html
Latest Review: Gardening With Guns by AJ Wootton

Post by Niens Now »

Sounds like a fascinating read. Thanks for a lovely review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Rashawn Carter
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rashawn-carter.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Rashawn Carter »

This book isn't for me but It is nice to see that the Westerdahls achieved their goal. The repeat of some segments would be a issue for me. Thanks for your amazing review! :D

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”