Review of Private Eye, Secret Spy

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
PAPATHEMYTH
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-papathemyth.html
Latest Review: Private Eye, Secret Spy by Ian D. Withers

Review of Private Eye, Secret Spy

Post by PAPATHEMYTH »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Private Eye, Secret Spy" by Ian D. Withers.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How does a city worker who enlisted in the army and grew up during a period of severe scarcity during WWII become Britain's most renowned spy? Ian D. Withers recounts the achievements of his sixty-year career in undercover operations, which included meeting celebrities, finding kidnapped children, discovering unscrupulous vendors and fraudsters, and developing a successful company. This thorough narrative of his exciting career accompanies Withers as he traverses the "cretins and bouquets" of life.

The non-fiction book Private Eye, Secret Spy was fantastic. I enjoyed Mr. Withers' diversity of instances and the friendly tone with which he presented them. Each section comprises a case or several cases demonstrating the writer's vast knowledge, competence, and expertise in performing the investigations required to fulfill a client’s demands. I appreciated learning about the evolution of PI technology and the legal challenges that come with crossing foreign frontiers. The author's frequent run-ins with the Metropolitan Police provided unanticipated angles and endings that significantly impacted his life and intrigued the narrative.

The "tug-of-love" instances were my favorite parts of studying. These court battles centered on maternal-child abduction cases, in which one parent abducted their child and fled to another nation without informing the other. The parent left in limbo had physical responsibility for the kids and would employ Withers to aid them in locating their lost child. These instances were fascinating to me since they were all different and their outcomes were unforeseeable. The author presented these stories in a compelling style that left me on the edge of my saddle, anxious to find the ending, sometimes heartbreaking, sometimes cheerful.

The writer's stint as a Chief Strategist for the Ministry of Defense in Seychelles was another fascinating book component. Withers discusses his work in the public sector and the historical context of the time in these parts. This section of the novel was jam-packed with vivid descriptions of life in a vacation spot and frightening insights about the political landscape. The author's project scope was impressive, and the ramifications of an unexpected incident provided intrigue and drama to the story.

There was nothing about the book that I didn't like. Fortunately, this book was professionally edited as I did not discover any editing issues. My reading pleasure was not disrupted at any point resulting in a 4 out of 4 stars rating. This book is a must-read for everyone who enjoys thrilling historical biographies with many human-interest stories. Withers is a captivating narrator whose writings help you to taste the emotional experience. I felt like I got to know the writer and his family personally, which made the climax bittersweet. Nonetheless, this story was engrossing and worthy of reading.

Private Eye, Secret Spy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”