Review of How To Be Successful

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Elsereen
Currently Reading: TBD August 2022 Book of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elsereen.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Review of How To Be Successful

Post by Elsereen »

[Following is a volunteer review of "How To Be Successful" by M. Curtis McCoy.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Surround yourself with positive friends, and be the best version of yourself. How to be successful is a book written by M. Curtis McCoy. He also has a similar book of almost exact effect on readers titled "Success, motivation and Inspiration" which he wrote in 2015. That is to tell you that McCoy is not just a book writer, but a motivational speaker, and a full-time success chaser. How to be successful is a short book with 185 pages and minimal chapters of 27 that will not just keep you reading but also want to consume every word, step, decision, and strategy Curtis took to succeed.

What is your excuse for not chasing success? Curtis is a man who has tasted extremes: poverty, riches, health, and sickness. Though his wealth started at a very young age, he has suffered a fate that other people would have considered suicide as a better option, ranging from loneliness, seizures, and at some point, he was diagnosed by an oncologist to have malignant brain cancer, with just 60-90 days to live! Well, I can rewrite a whole book if I am to tell you all about McCoy's life, misfortune, and achievements’ as written in the book, but I will rather let you find out yourself.

What I love most about this book is how the author did not streamline the success story to just himself alone, as it would have been a little bit boring. But he took his time interviewing a lot of successful individuals and entrepreneurs in the U.S., ranging from Navy seals to business developers, publishers, and venture advocates. The author passed them through the same scale simulation of 15 tag questions, to get different responses of how they perceive success and failure, how they go through bad times, and even what they consider success to be.

I also liked the uniqueness of the responses of those successful individuals Curtis interviewed in the book, especially in questions like how they see success and the advice they would have given their 18-year-old selves. In these questions' responses, you will find out that the road to success follows the same pattern: struggle, determination, failure, perseverance, and criticism.

I can't remember if I disliked any part of this book, apart from the chapter that McCoy was trying to argue the use of profanities and abusive words in the book, and how he stumped out of the movies, because of profanity in a movie scene. But I was able to later reason with the author’s idea in that aspect, as it was all part of his character-building techniques.

So I rate this book a perfect 4 out of 4 stars following the basis of professionalism, instinctive author perspectives, and editorial accuracy. The book was well written, with few errors that I can remember. If I am to follow my personal judgments, I will even rate this book higher.

I am recommending this book to young individuals and entrepreneurs, seeking motivation, inspiration, and encouragement to start or continue a difficult task ahead of them.

How To Be Successful
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”