Review of Mildred The Bird Lady

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Oyedeji Okikioluwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 964
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orizon.html
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi

Review of Mildred The Bird Lady

Post by Oyedeji Okikioluwa »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mildred The Bird Lady" by Rose M. Jones.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mildred The Bird Lady by Rose M. Jones is a fiction story that emphasizes the importance of the 'dash' in life—the space of years between our birth and death. The themes of this book revolve around passion and friendship.

Four-year-old Mary Parker encounters a sad woman in a park feeding birds. She is drawn to her presence and starts a conversation about the birds. Their interaction doesn't last long as Mary is pulled away from the woman by her angry mother, who warns her sternly about talking to strangers. As much as she is careful not to upset her mother, Mary can't resist the woman in the park, which her mother derogatory refers to as 'The Bird Lady,' and keeps a relationship with her over the years. The woman, who later introduces herself as Mildred Whitaker, teaches Mary about life, love, the dash's importance in life, and how to make the dash count. Mary and Mildred take solace in each other through the rough, good, and bad times. After her mother's death, Mildred turns into a mother figure for Mary and takes Mary as a daughter. As life goes on, Mary struggles with balancing life challenges and fulfilling her dash in life. Would she be successful? Read to find out more.

Rose M. Jones wrote with deft and skilled finesse. I enjoyed the imagery her words brought with them, and the poetic feel in-between some lines. The flow of both major and minor characters was spot-on, fluid, and well developed.

My favorite character is Aunt Jackie. She is a minor character in the novel, but I am very impressed with her. She was the one that noticed Mary's talent, insisted she went back to school, shouldered responsibilities, and was very caring and open. I couldn't take that for granted. There are loads of value to pack from the pages of this masterpiece, from which I share my favorite line "The word no, chiiild is a complete sentence." This speaks so much to me as much as I expect it does to other readers.

There is nothing I dislike in the book, as I learned a lot from it. I observed a few errors but not too much to distort the flow of the story in the book. Therefore, I rate Mildred The Bird Lady 4 out of 4 stars.

I recommend Mildred The Bird Lady to young adults that are trying to find and follow their passion. Also, I believe the book teaches parents valuable lessons about being close and available to their child for confiding, especially the girl child. Finally, teenagers can learn from the book to avoid being swept by the tidal wave of peer pressure. The word 'no' is a complete sentence.

Mildred The Bird Lady
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi
Ivvie Ivanova
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Currently Reading: Beyond Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivvie-ivanova.html
Latest Review: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (Spanish Edition) by Peter Liptak
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 50532

Post by Ivvie Ivanova »

This book sounds like a lovely heartwarming read for those days where nothing grabs my attention. I'd love to read this next. Thank you for your review!
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

Thanks for your review. This book sounds like something we can all learn from. The Mildred's of the world can teach us so many things if we listen. It takes someone special like Mary to go against her mother and to listen and learn from the Mildred's, who seem like just a crazy, old person. This book sounds like a light-hearted book to enjoy.
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Passion, friendship, strength, and determination are important aspects of all our lives, but truly “making the dashes count” is a concept worth embracing. Thank you for your lovely review of this one! 🐦
Deprise Evans
Favorite Author: Francine Rivers
Currently Reading: Crazy Love
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deprise-evans.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6456

Post by Deprise Evans »

This sounds like an absolutely inspiring and heartwarming read. It's so important that we make the "dash" count. Loved your review!
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

The bird lady sounds intriguing. Birds have a lot to teach people. Thank you for a great review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

I would love to read this story: thank you for this amazing review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”