Review of Power Affirmations from the Wisdom of History's Greatest Minds

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
That Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Unspoken Things The Inlightenment by Wilfred Thomas

Review of Power Affirmations from the Wisdom of History's Greatest Minds

Post by That Reviewer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Power Affirmations from the Wisdom of History's Greatest Minds" by James Riddle.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

With over 2000 quotes from about 250 individuals, James Riddle creates powerful affirmations. These quotes explain the world and how to live in it as a better and successful person.

"The way I arranged this book is by quoting each person, then, taking those quotes and creating an affirmation to engraft that wisdom into your life." This excerpt from the book gives a summary of what Power Affirmations from the Wisdom of History's Greatest Minds can do for you.

Unlike some authors who make their readers swallow their philosophies hook, line, and sinker, James Riddle talks about the bias in the book in his introduction. He makes his readers understand that his overemphasis on some subject matters results from his love for those concepts. He preps the readers on what is to come and gives them a choice. This allows the reader to decide whether to continue reading or not.

The way quotes that may seem abstract are given interesting affirmations is so cool. Take, for example, the quote by Roger Bacon: "For the things of this world cannot be made known without a knowledge of mathematics." Here's the affirmation: "I am aware that the things of this world cannot be fully understood without doing the math." Another example is this Benjamin Franklin's quote: "Guests like fish begin to smell after three days." The affirmation goes thus: "I never wear out my welcome." The author succeeds in taking off the ambiguity from some of these vintage quotes.

This work is almost blameless. Categorizing the quotes will make them more appealing and accessible for people who need quotes concerning their specific situation. This is a 691-paged book — that's a lot of pages. Categorizing them will be perfect. Besides this minor issue, the book is fantastic! The editing is top-notch, as there are no errors.

All in all, I give this book four out of four stars. I recommend this book to lovers of quotes about God, nature, freedom, and success-oriented habits, as these are the major themes.

This book is strongly biased in favor of the author's religious inclination, which is Christianity. Quotes by some biblical characters are captured. This might be an issue for readers with zero tolerance for materials that promote particular religions, especially if they don't belong there. On the flip side, if you're open-minded and tolerant to religious insinuations, you can go ahead and grab a copy of the book.

Power Affirmations from the Wisdom of History's Greatest Minds
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nonso Ok
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-ok.html
Latest Review: A Murder in Brownsville by Donald Steven Collins

Post by Nonso Ok »

Categorization would help the book look more arranged. Great review!
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

This is a valuable book given that words have power. Thanks for a great review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
vickreviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickreviews.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by vickreviews »

I'd like to read those quotes from biblical characters. You have portrayed this book in such a manner that it looks like it would be a great read for me, and I thank you.
Deprise Evans
Favorite Author: Francine Rivers
Currently Reading: Crazy Love
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deprise-evans.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6456

Post by Deprise Evans »

I love powerful books such as these. I have always believed that we can learn a lot from those throughout history, and to me this book seems to show that. Thank you for a great review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”