Review of Uncorking a Wonderful Life

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chiwelite O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwelite-o.html
Latest Review: The Crimson Trail by Ernest Salotti

Review of Uncorking a Wonderful Life

Post by Chiwelite O »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Uncorking a Wonderful Life" by Bob Schober.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In life, we experience grief at various points. We are witnesses to events and situations that affect our emotional or mental health. How do we react to these experiences? It could be said that a large percentage of individuals become addicted to certain things in order to run away from the impact of their experiences, some become addicted to alcohol, some to work, and so on. In the author’s case, he resorted to alcohol.

Bob was seven when his brother was diagnosed with polio and admitted to a hospital. Upon his brother’s recovery and return, his parents diverted a lot of attention to him to ensure that he did not suffer any damage in the hospital. This brought about a feeling of loneliness and neglect in Bob. Three years later, his mother died, leaving the family broken as their father refused to talk about her death or provide any means of comfort. Bob resorted to drinking at a very young age to rid himself of the failure and fraud he felt he was. This takes a toll on Bob’s life and leads him towards a destructive path. How does Bob manage to save himself from drowning? Find out in this inspiring book.

Uncorking a Wonderful Life by Bob Schober contains a lot of positive aspects. The book was professionally edited as I did not find a lot of errors in this book. The author talks about the twelve steps and twelve promises that guide a recovering addict. The author provides his notes and the struggles he had to go through to get to the place he is today. He gives off the notion that we can all make it out of our stuck holes. He also talks about the importance of gratitude and forgiveness. The book is written using words that readers can easily understand. At the end of the book, the author provides notes which contain side effects of alcohol use, links to various groups that help recovering addicts, and many more. He also provides a list of books that helped him in his journey.

I could not find a lot of negative aspects to this book. However, as the author said initially, the twelve steps mostly revolve around religion and spirituality. Most people won’t find this appealing. He remedies this by providing links to other helpful groups that are secular.

I rate this book four out of four stars. I did not rate it lower because the negative aspect above did not affect my appreciation of the book. The author’s story will inspire any person. I recommend this book to recovering addicts and people suffering from grief.

Uncorking a Wonderful Life
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kingsley Emodi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kingsley-emodi.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Kingsley Emodi »

Surely, tragedies in one's life can lead one to different addictions. A book that will teach addicts ways to recover will be very helpful to the target audience. Great review.
Pearl Thomas
2021 Reading Goal: 25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-thomas.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by Pearl Thomas »

I agree with the author's comment about the twelve step program, it's not best suited for atheists or agnostics. Glad that the author provides with alternatives for them as well. Lovely review
Edit_or
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edit-or.html
Latest Review: Unveil your Intimate Self by Elena Georgiadou

Post by Edit_or »

A lot of nasty habits come up during some unpleasant experiences which unfortunately doesn’t still drive the problem away though but I guess this book provides some inspiring nuggets on how to deal with such experiences.thank you for the review.
Amanda I
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-i.html
Latest Review: Brand Real by Vasken Kalayjian

Post by Amanda I »

I like the way the author passes his message across to the readers. This is a book I would certainly love to read as we all experience life changing situations at some point.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”