Review of Lucy's People

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Review of Lucy's People

Post by Tomah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lucy's People" by Mesfin Tadesse with Ianet Bastyan.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lucy's People: An Ethiopian Memoir is an autobiographical and historical book written by Mesfin Tadesse and co-written by Ianet Bastyan. It centers on the author's early life in Ethiopia until he left for Kenya as a refugee. The book covers the turbulent period between the 1960s and 1991, during which the communist Derg overthrew the Ethiopian monarchy and ruled for over a decade before collapsing under rebel forces.

Mesfin Tadesse offers a unique depiction of Ethiopia from a native's point of view, highlighting not only underappreciated historical details but also cultural aspects and day-to-day activities, which gives the reader a broad, holistic understanding of the nation. I was particularly moved by some descriptions of the Second Italo-Ethiopian War, especially the horrifying mustard gas attacks, and I enjoyed learning about the role of women in the conflict. The book also features a few pictures, but it would've been better if they were spread out across several chapters rather than relegated to the final pages.

Speaking of descriptions, though the author prefers brief, straightforward sentences, this writing style actually heightens the impact of some passages. For example, the book presents this short but chilling paragraph while discussing the Derg's conscription of young men and its effects on families: "The luckiest conscripts returned home with deformities. They were missing an eye or two, or an arm, or one or both legs. The next most fortunate came home in a box. The unlucky never returned home – families only received a message" (page 174).

That said, the book's presentation is also its main weakness. Some passages felt cryptic and in dire need of more explanation at first, and I could only decipher them later on. The first chapter is particularly guilty of this, throwing the reader right in the middle of an episode in the author's life without explaining the context or clarifying when it occurs. Indeed, it can be hard to follow the timeline at times: the author generally follows a chronological order, but he tends to abruptly insert events from the future and the past in unrelated chapters.

I wholeheartedly recommend Lucy's People to readers interested in autobiographies or learning about different nations and cultures. People expecting a rigorous history book might want to look elsewhere, however, since the writing incorporates the author's subjective views and experiences. There are also a few instances of violence, heavy themes, and profane language, making the book unsuitable for young readers. Overall, I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars, deducting a point due to the presentation issues.

Lucy's People
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Goodness C N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-c-n.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by Goodness C N »

I do believe that books on specific topics and all are better appreciated by readers who have an interest in them. Regardless, you have a well-written review that gives the reader an insight into what to expect. And a well-edited book is always a plus.
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

I love the fact that the book talked about history and culture. Nice review.
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

historical war novels are very interesting. especially since they are based on true events. interesting book. great review
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I would love to read a book about Ethiopia :) I like memoirs very much! Thank you for this insightful review and recommendation!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”