Review of My Life with the Guitar Heroes

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lauren Hanna
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Last to Vanish
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauren-hanna.html
Latest Review: Mamma & Me by Eloisa B. Lucas

Review of My Life with the Guitar Heroes

Post by Lauren Hanna »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My Life with the Guitar Heroes" by Jim Bergin.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

My Life with the Guitar Heroes: One Man’s Journey with his Music Icons was composed by Jim Bergin. The author wrote this book as a tribute to the guitarists that meant the most to him. This extraordinary narrative is full of facts about Jim Bergin’s favorite guitarists and their bands. The writer also included unique stories from his childhood into adulthood. There are several guitarists that Jim Bergin admires; some include Keith Richards of The Rolling Stones, Jimmy Page from Led Zeppelin, Eric Clapton, and Joe Walsh from the Eagles.

My favorite story that the author shared took place at Eric Clapton’s wedding. During the reception, the photographer got too close when he and his wife were cutting the cake. Eric Clapton picked up a piece of cake and threw it at the photographer. His actions led to a massive food fight where almost everyone participated! In Eric Clapton’s own words, “we didn’t eat the cake, we just wore it.”

The author has a great sense of humor. I smiled and laughed many times throughout this book. I found the stories to be entertaining and fascinating. The chapters are short and quick to read. My Life with the Guitar Heroes is very insightful. I was familiar with most of the bands the author mentioned but only knew of the lead singers. It was interesting to learn about the guitarists. The facts provided by Jim Bergin were entirely new to me. An example of this is in regards to a Led Zepplin song called Black Dog. This particular title is unrelated to the lyrics of the song. The band chose to name the song after a black Labrador, who roamed around the studio while they were recording. There are numerous stories and engaging facts like this throughout the text. There was nothing about this book that I disliked.

The only negative aspect would be the errors throughout the text. The mistakes, however, were minor and did not disrupt the flow of reading.

My Life with the Guitar Heroes is a captivating and intriguing read. It is a delightful blend of the author's personal stories and the tales about the guitarists and their bands. I learned a great deal from this book. For these reasons, I rate My Life with the Guitar Heroes 3 out of 4 stars. A maximum rating was not assigned solely due to the various mistakes throughout the text.

I recommend this non-fiction book to anyone, especially those who are interested in music and guitarists. Those who enjoy music from the 1960s through the 1990s will appreciate this book. Anyone who wants to learn exquisite facts about The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Eric Clapton, the Eagles, Prince, Black Sabbath, The Beatles, among many more, are encouraged to read My Life with the Guitar Heroes.

My Life with the Guitar Heroes
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”