Review of God Is Hilarious

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Satwik Mohanty
Favorite Author: H.P. Lovecraft
Favorite Book: My Living Will
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-satwik-mohanty.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 6063

Review of God Is Hilarious

Post by Satwik Mohanty »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "God Is Hilarious" by April D. Torres.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Are you struggling to find your faith? You may be wondering, where is God? How could he let such things happen to you? If any of these sound familiar, then you are not much different from the author April D. Torres. She was a hospice nurse with many physical and mental ailments. Some were discovered and treated, while others were left unchecked. This book follows her story as she finds her living her worst nightmare. But it was this experience that taught her there is hope and freedom at the end of her struggles. The message she conveys through her book is, God is everywhere! We just need to look out for the signs.

God is Hilarious is an extremely personal story of one woman's fight for her life. The narrative begins with the author's attempt at taking her own life. After failing to do so, she was sent to a psych ward. This place was like a living nightmare. She struggled to hold on to her life. After being released, she was looked down upon by the people closest to her. She was misunderstood. No one believed in her, and this broke her more and more. But throughout this, she felt God always watching upon her. She finally finds the root of her problems to be a little-known disease and is treated accordingly. Little by little, her life becomes better than before, and she thanks God for always being beside her.

I liked everything about the book. The writing style is simple and easy to read. The author was true to her feelings throughout the entire book. I admire the strength and courage it must have took for her to narrate her experience. I could feel every emotion she was feeling throughout the book. There were times when I felt her sadness and grief. I also felt angry at some of the things which were happening to her, which she did not deserve. I felt her bliss when everything came into place. There are pictures at the end of the book. They showcase some crucial steps in her journey. They signify that this is not where her story ends. It is the beginning of a new and beautiful chapter of her life.

There is nothing that I disliked about this book. The narration had a smooth flow to it. The story was entertaining and captivating. But the editing was not professional. There were a few errors in this book. Much of them were errors in capitalization and apostrophes. It could use another round of proofreading. For these reasons, I would rate it 3 out of 4 stars.

All in all, God is Hilarious is a wonderful book about finding your faith. It teaches us that God is always with us through our thick and thin. This book is especially useful for someone who is going through any kind of illness. But I can easily suggest this book to anyone else going through a difficult time. It teaches you that there is hope and joy at the end of your struggles. God is always beside you. The main takeaway of the book is, you are not alone!

God Is Hilarious
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Pearl Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-thomas.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Pearl Thomas »

Love the concept, love the plot. The question of God has always puzzled me out, and what a bold title!
Satwik Mohanty

Post by Satwik Mohanty »

Pearl Thomas wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 10:38 Love the concept, love the plot. The question of God has always puzzled me out, and what a bold title!
The title fits perfectly with the story. I'm sure you'll enjoy reading this book. Thanks for stopping by! :tiphat:
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

God gives us hope when we are hopeless, am glad I came across this book, beautiful review.
Satwik Mohanty

Post by Satwik Mohanty »

Gabriella1997 wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 13:21 God gives us hope when we are hopeless, am glad I came across this book, beautiful review.
Indeed he does. And in ways that we may not even realize. Thanks for stopping by! :tiphat:
Neshboy Aburi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neshboy-aburi.html
Latest Review: Darksoul by L. Brooks

Post by Neshboy Aburi »

To find our inner peace and fulfillment in a world where we we cannot control what others think about us is a treacherous journey especially when one is suffering from an undiagnosed ailment. I am glad this author found her peace and made her mark irrespective of the challenges. Thanks for this great review.
Latest Review: Darksoul by L. Brooks
Satwik Mohanty

Post by Satwik Mohanty »

Clifford Munene wrote: 29 Sep 2021, 05:32 To find our inner peace and fulfillment in a world where we we cannot control what others think about us is a treacherous journey especially when one is suffering from an undiagnosed ailment. I am glad this author found her peace and made her mark irrespective of the challenges. Thanks for this great review.
It was satisfying to see the author find her own peace. Thanks for stopping by :tiphat:
D G M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-d-g-m.html
Latest Review: The Employee Millionaire - Personal Workbook by H. J. Chammas

Post by D G M »

I would love to see how the author faces her illness. Thanks for the beautiful review!
GYRO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gyro.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: B08CHZGPCB

Post by GYRO »

I liked the title of the book. And after reading your review, I want to read this book.
Satwik Mohanty

Post by Satwik Mohanty »

D G M wrote: 04 Oct 2021, 09:30 I would love to see how the author faces her illness. Thanks for the beautiful review!
Thanks for stopping by :tiphat:
Satwik Mohanty

Post by Satwik Mohanty »

GYRO wrote: 04 Oct 2021, 09:55 I liked the title of the book. And after reading your review, I want to read this book.
Read it, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”