Review of Book One: The First Four Dog Vacations

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Zee_Zee
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zee-zee.html
Latest Review: Mastering Your Life by Malti Bhojwani

Review of Book One: The First Four Dog Vacations

Post by Zee_Zee »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Book One: The First Four Dog Vacations" by Caroyn West Meyer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The mere thought of a road trip is always guaranteed to rekindle fond memories for me. The different strange locations, the new and exciting people I get to meet, and best of all, the new memories I create with loved ones on each of these adventures make these trips memorable. Carolyn West Meyer tells us about her vacations with her husband, Kel, and her two pet dogs, Miss Bea and Black B.B. She opens her heart to us about her feelings for her girls, as she affectionately calls the dogs, and her best efforts to share her experiences on the road with them over four individually exciting vacations. Each trip is carefully planned out, but things don't always go as planned, you know.

Book One: The First Four Dog Vacations by Carolyn West Meyer took me right back to my childhood days, hopping across cities with my parents or friends during the school holiday season. The experience of getting to bring my pet along during those vacations is one I never had. However, I fully understand Carolyn West Meyer's emotional attachment to her pets, Having been a dog owner for over two decades. Like a mother wanting always to protect her babies, she realizes she cannot afford to leave them alone for too long. So, she creates the space for them to inject themselves into her holiday schedule. She dotes over them and entertains herself with their canine antics, adding more than a serving of comic relief to the narrative she shares.

The novelty of a pet-focused vacation and the excitement that comes with planning for specific animal needs cannot be imagined. Kudos must be given to the author for the extensive effort she put into the detailed chronicling of the daily events of each vacation. You need to have a pet to understand how difficult this can be. The "skunking" incident, in particular, brought tears of laughter to my eyes and reminded me that no matter how outlandish my emergency plans can get, there would always be room for improvement. Having experienced my share of unimaginable canine calamity, I was very keen to learn how they resolved that particular problem and the steps they took to prevent a repeat occurrence.

What's there not to love about this book? It pushes the boundaries of one's imagination with the sights and sounds of the different locations, peppered with a sampling of their rich history. Doing all these while reminding the reader that the author is focused on her pets sharing her experiences is truly impressive. You are guaranteed to stay interested in this book from the first page to the last.

Pet owners will enjoy this book. I also recommend it to individuals thinking of getting their first pet but haven't yet taken that big step. It will give them insight into the scale of responsibility involved in caring for an animal. This book is refreshingly different from your typical pet-inspired tale. If not for the number of errors, it deserves a perfect rating, as there's nothing else for which to fault the book. Sadly, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

Book One: The First Four Dog Vacations
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nazzy_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nazzy.html
Latest Review: The Art of Marketing Jesus by Robert Wachter

Post by Nazzy_ »

Vacation trips are best enjoyed when you're with your loved ones. I love the book. Great review?
Fahru Fattaah
Currently Reading: The Exfiltrator
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Fahru Fattaah »

The depiction of a mother's love for her child is indeed very touching, how not? The struggle of a mother who is always near her child and watching her child grow up . For the depiction of animals such as dogs, it seems a bit less interesting. Why? Because not many people keep dogs. So, for the description it depends on the experience of the reader.
Iqra Rafiq 1
2021 Reading Goal: 10
Currently Reading: First Lessons
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iqra-rafiq-1.html
Latest Review: A Bloody Book by Chris Bowen

Post by Iqra Rafiq 1 »

A book about dogs.a must-read for me. I love dogs and the concept of the book is good road trips and vacations. Thanks for the detailed review.
Kingsley Emodi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kingsley-emodi.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Kingsley Emodi »

Road trips with the pets should be a lot of fun. I'm sure the target audience will enjoy this one. Great review.
AfraBrb
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afrabrb.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by AfraBrb »

the love a person has for pets is special since they are defesnless creatures, you can't just leave them alone for a long time , I completely understand the author's kind since I am a pet owner myselfor at least used to be

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”