Official Review: I Think I'll Make It by Kat hurley

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ttuso22
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ttuso22.html
Latest Review: The Immigrant's Lament by Mois benarroch
fav_author_id: 1778

Official Review: I Think I'll Make It by Kat hurley

Post by ttuso22 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I Think I'll Make It" by Kat hurley.]
Book Cover for 1177
Share This Review

After reading the synopsis for this book, I was interested and figured I would give it a shot. Being a Christian, I was not prepared to face the elements of this story. There are topics in this book that contrasted with my beliefs and at times were difficult to read and understand. There were times I felt like she was slightly impious and other times I felt like she was respectful towards God; it confused and saddened me most of the time. Still, I read through it because Kat Hurley deserves the respect to have her story listened to. She deserved, at least, that. Nevertheless, my task is not to critique her beliefs, but to review this book honestly. With that said, I will now critique it from a literary point of view.

"I Think I'll Make It" is captivating in its exquisite ability to beautifully paint the author's life in a slide show of events. This book is gloomy. This book is humorous. But above all, this book is well written and brutally honest. Not until recently did I start to read non-fiction and at times I felt this book was difficult to read. Regardless, though, it kept me interested. Being a bigger fan of fiction, I probably would not read it again. It may appeal to a wider variety of people, however, who do enjoy reading a real life laid bare for others to dissect, for that is exactly what it is.

This story follows the life of the author, Kat Hurley, as she deals with issues of heartbreak from her girlfriend, confusion with where life is taking her, and depression from all of the above. In her attempt to solve these problems, she escapes to live with her brother's family in Hawaii. Here she works various jobs and absorbs the island's culture as she tries to figure out whether she should piece together the puzzle pieces of her life or just let them fall where they may. She tries to find joy in family, find peace in the storm, and eventually attempt to make friends with islanders as her love life tumbles like the restless waves she surfs on in her free time. This book is a journey of growth, spirituality, humility, perseverance, and even audiobook wisdom (including Oprah) to combat her ever-growing ego. Through this, she learns to accept her life through many instances of tears and mold it into her personality.

The major theme in this book is overcoming the struggles that at times feel impossible to live through. The fight that Kat Hurley has to overcome and how she faces her battles is inspiring, but sincere. She doesn't make it seem easy and she does not at all sugar coat it. You see her break down and you see her rise back up. She grows from her past and ascends into her future. She shows that her attainment to enlightenment didn’t come without trials. This book takes you on a roller coaster we all too quickly try to suppress in our own lives. What we hide under a veil, she opens up for us to see. She shares what most people keep bottled up out of fear of rejection. If there is anything I commend Kat Hurley for it is that she has inspirational courage in being honest. Plus, she writes about it with an artistic touch!

Though this is not a book I would likely read again nor buy, it is one that I think others might enjoy. I will give it a 2 out of 4 stars because I personally would not recommend it to a friend if they asked me. I did not like it since the language used, although not oppressive, was still more than I prefer to have in a book (quite a few F-words)—that and some sexual innuendos. Also it is just not something I was particularly passionate to read about. Honestly, it was hard to relate being as I have never been in a relationship with anyone. Nonetheless, my views are not the same as others in this literary society and I think that some people could really find this book to be an enjoyable read, especially those who have gone through similar circumstances. I gave it a two rather than a one, though, because Kat Hurley is an incredible author and writes with finesse. It does not at all feel like you are reading a non-fiction book and if I rated it out of how enjoyable it was to read I would give it a full star rating.

Buy "I Think I'll Make It" on Amazon
If there’s a book you really want to read but it hasn’t been written yet, then you must write it. ~Toni Morrison
LorieD
Bookshelf Size: 0
2022 Reading Goal: 12
2022 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by LorieD »

I happened upon your review because of the book title. "I Think I'll Make It" was intriguing. I do enjoy memoirs, autobiographies, personal essays. Anything like that. Non-fiction is the kind of book I'll gravitate to at the library. I feel duly warned though. Though I love stories, it's good to know that there is sensitive content. People can tell a story quite artistically, and come through some awful things. And I've read books like that, but I've also been affected by them. It's a good thing to know, and to weigh. Your star choice makes sense. A well written review, thanks.
ttuso22
Currently Reading:

Post by ttuso22 »

Thank you :) glad you enjoyed the review! I just wanted to be honest.
If there’s a book you really want to read but it hasn’t been written yet, then you must write it. ~Toni Morrison
Little House
Favorite Author: Orson Scott Card
Favorite Book: Enders Game or maybe Enders Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-little-house.html
Latest Review: "Chocolate Chip Chelsy" by Angelina Madison
fav_author_id: 2667

Post by Little House »

It is very difficult to write an honest review about a book when you don't agree with the views of the author, but you have done a good job. You pointed out things I want to know (the amount of language, sexual innuendos) without dwelling on them. Good job!
Latest Review: "Chocolate Chip Chelsy" by Angelina Madison
ttuso22
Currently Reading:

Post by ttuso22 »

Thank you! :) I really appreciate the encouragement.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”